Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another new build questions thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Another new build questions thread

Just got the ok from the wife for my first build. I'm using my ruger m77 short action (I know a lot of guys hate this). It'll be trued, rebarreled, and a new stock. It's currently a 243 win. I've been reading about the 7mm-08 and it peaked my interest. I will use this rifle as a long range steel shooter and a deer/antelope rifle for myself and my daughter. I want a round that will promote barrel life too. I reload but don't want something too exotic. I'm wanting opinions on caliber choices mostly but also need advice on barrel makers and a good stock that does not break the bank. Thanks.
Chad
Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Another new build questions thread

I've been kicking around a re-barrel on a 243 mountain rifle of my own. Similar criteria to yours. Daughter friendly deer/lope and accurate to 600 yds or so. I'm looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor. This is a Remington SA M700 mountain in a gen one Ti stock. I figure to add a little weight in a slightly heavier barrel,and open up the existing stock to suit. I don't know what your budget is,but I would think a Brux pipe,HS stock,(stockys stocks) and the necessary smithing should should land you in the $1,000 / $1,300 ball park. Shilen has served me well in the past. Douglas too. I have been hearing lots of good things about Pac-Nor these days. Barrel turn around times are pretty depressing these days. It varies from maker to maker though. Shilen and Douglas are usually not too bad. I was just on the phone with Brux last week and they are 5 months out right now. With winter coming (project season), it may well get worse. Everyone trying to get next years rig under way after hunting season. Bench Rest shooters ordering several barrels at a time. Winter can play heck with barrel turn around times.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another new build questions thread

7mm-08 is a good caliber...I have one, and I'm a huge 7mm fan. Most of my rifles are of the various 7mm calibers.

But I would also look into the 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor. They would be an excellent choice for what you are looking for.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.