Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another Idaho Whitetail bites the dust with a 338 Edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Sponsor

Another Idaho Whitetail bites the dust with a 338 Edge

Well it has been a pretty good year for Whitetails this year here in north Idaho. My hunting buddy Jr. and I headed out a little early from work on Friday as Saturday was the last day of general late buck season. While I was hoping to see a good whitetail buck for Jr. to shoot I was really intent on shooting some video footage on shooter / spotter communication for my how to LRH video. We drove to one of our deer & elk spots close to town 35-40 minutes and hiked from the truck about a mile or so when Jr. spotted a doe bedded down beside a tree across the canyon. Several seconds later Jr. spotted the back half of another deer above the doe. Through our binoculars neither one of us could see horns, but the body was stocky and had all of the signs of a mature buck. I broke out the Manfroto tripod, Leupold HD spotting scope and watched the deer until I saw a good flash of horn. Jr. started looking for a spot to get setup for a shot in case the deer was in fact a mature buck. I got a good look at the buck and gave it a mid 140s and 20 wide estimate, easily within shooting standards. Jr. was however having an impossible time getting anything that resembled a suitable shooting position. Several minutes later while Jr. kept eyes on the buck I moved further down the canyon in hopes of finding a good shooting location. I located a spot that was better but not great the distance was 556 yards. I set up the spotting scope camera and went eyes on while Jr. moved down to my location. Jr. was just getting setup beside me when the buck charges the doe and the two of them head up and to the right of their bedding area and out of our view. After a bunch of @#&@*@^ :mad: I moved again further down the canyon to locate a spot where we could get a shot. I locate a really good spot and setup. Jr. again relocates while I watch the buck. Our distance is now 618 yards 10 degrees downhill. Jr. gets settled in we confirm distance and dope and I tell him to send it. The 338 Edge booms from my left side and a second later I watch the 300 gr SMK strike the buck about 4-5 inches up from the bottom of the chest right in the crease behind the front shoulder. It looks like a heart shot and I call it as such. The buck kicks and bolts up the hill about 50 feet then tumbles and staggers down into an old skid road piling up about 40 yards from the site of impact. We watch the buck for a minute and I congratulate Jr. on a fine shot. It has now been almost 40 minutes since Jr. spotted the doe and buck. By the time we get over to the buck it is almost an hour after dark and it is cold 13 degrees or so. We take some photos and a short video clip (after warming the camera up). The 300 SMK hit exactly where I had called it clipping the bottom of the heart. Penetration and exit wounds were substantial leaving no doubt of the great terminal performance. This was Jrs first long range buck and I was glad to witness it as well as get it on film.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

Nice Buck. Congrats to you, Jr. and the EDGE
Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn:

Tell Jr. congratulations on a great whitetail buck, and his first long range buck.;) Very symmetrical and even rack. Everything about him is very nice. Northern Idaho is turning out some great whitetails. I'd imagine he was getting a little excited after the moves but when it counted he made the shot. Congrats again Jr.;)

Looking forward to your video. Looks like it's gonna have some pretty good stuff in it. Let us know when it's ready.

No need to say much about the edge or the gun. A done deal every time here lately.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Great buck. Gonna have to get a snow camo paint job for the edge.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Great story and rifle. Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the nice "WhiteHawg". That's some fine team hunting, spotting and shooting. How fast that SMK zipping along? JohnnyK.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Congrats to Jr. That is a hell of a buck for sure. At first glance at the pic, I would have guessed him a bit bigger then 140. Great spread, good height and great dark color antlers!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com