Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another dall ram hits the dirt!!! The toughest shot of my life.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another dall ram hits the dirt!!! The toughest shot of my life.

Cool story Michael,

I'll trade you a Montana Bighorn Sheep hunt for a Dall Sheep hunt... but first I need to verify that you aren't an undercover agent
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Congratulations Michael, great post.
Reading it brought me back to the Wrangell's.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
That is an awsome story. Even better pics. I'll make it up there one day.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the young lady. That is horrible.

How much do you think that rifle weighs? 10-11lbs?

How do you tell if a ram is eight or not? What physical characteristics do you look for?
1: Thanks. I was able to see the family the other day. They are doing well. She was doing a moose drive and was hidden by tall grass. A moose popped up and her sister fired and missed hitting her instead. Her father was there and was able to be with her untill the helochopter took her to the hospital. She passed away in route. They were wearing hunter orange as well but due to the grass, they couldnt see her. The odds of her getting hit were next to nothing. Unfortunately that day the minimal odds were enough.

2: That rifle weight just a tad over 10# compete.

3: Age of rams can be determined by horn annuli. If theyre horns are lighter in color and their rings are well defined, they can be pretty easy to identify and count. Sometimes they are not such as his buddy who was clearly bigger and more dominant, however his horns were dark and I could not count more than a few rings so I could not ID him as "age legal" and had to hold my fire. I am sure he is at least 8 or 9 but I cant prove it without pulling the trigger and I just dont want to risk being wrong.

Below is a picture of horn annuli. You can rarely see #1 which is the lamb tip but the second ring is a double line bump. The 3rd is the first really defined single ring. In the picture, there is a green line by the tip. You typically cant see any rings there on most rams but when you lay your hands on the horns you can decern that they are the lamb tips. Typically you start counting from the 2nd or 3rd rings as they are what is visible. In this rams case, I could make out his #2 ring or more appropriately his double bump. From there I counted forward and ended with 8 which makes him legal.

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

What a great hunt in beautiful country!
Sympathies to the girl's family, especially her sister. About 4 years ago a friend of mine was deer hunting with his early teenaged son and wife when a ricochet struck and killed his wife. She was in oak woods and the odds of a bullet making its way through the trees at that angle after a ricochet were almost zero but it happened. We can't understand things like this, we just have to fall back on faith. Prayers to the family.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

great story and outstanding photos.
I have never hunted out west and seeing the pics I am always envious.