Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another dall ram hits the dirt!!! The toughest shot of my life.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another dall ram hits the dirt!!! The toughest shot of my life.

Excellent shooting and pix, thanks for sharing!

Our hearts and prayers goes to your friend and family. God bless!

V/R

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopeshunter View Post
Wow, I don't know how I missed that part when I read your story. So sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved.
Thats my fault. I decided to add that a few minutes after the post. I just thought it would be a good remider to all how quickly and seemingly easily hunting accidents happen. I hope all out there keep these thoughts close in mind this and every hunting season. We all want to come home saftely from our trips and we certainly dont want to have prevented someone else from coming home on our conscience. Happy and safe hunting to all.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

M E

Great write up, and nice ram.

Even better reminder to all. It only takes a split second with your head not in the game for things to turn tragic.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

Chris
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Michael,
Great hunting story, that is what legends are made about. In a stressfull situation like having a wounded animal(worst of a wounded dall ram), and being capable of making such a hard shot is just amazing, shows your knowledge and skill !!! IMPRESIVE, congratulations, and thank you for sharing. The pictures are awesome, great scenery and great hunting pictures. That is what I want heaven to look like

Making all of us remember that life is fragile, and that tragic accidents can happen in our beloved sport, is very important to all of us, if that makes us be SAFER HUNTERS in the future. My prayers to your friend and his family.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Great story and pics, loved it!! Congrats to the both of you.

Dall sheep is definately on my top 5 trophy list, one day...

Oh BTW, good luck with sending that ACI into sniper tools and having them fix the problem. I had a problem with mine literally falling apart on my 338 EDGE after only 20 rounds and when I called them to see if I could have them fix it, they simply stated that they dont repair them. He walked me through on how I could fix it, but I'm no good at fixing stuff, and when I tried, the level would stick, so obviously something wasn't right. I dont see how a company like that, doesn't have a repair or return policy on a $150 piece of equipment that is suppose to be battle proven tough. I wasn't tough on mine at all, it went from the closet to the range 3 times and it just fell apart literally. He said this was the first case he had heard of them doing this, and they've been on all sorts of 50 BMG's. I am not lying, just telling it how it happened.

I eventually sent it to Shawn Carlock who built my 338 EDGE and who I purchased the ACI tool from and had it installed in the first place. He had it back within a week or so. So big thanks to Shawn as it seems to be working great now after around 20 rounds through it so far.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Awesome story, thx for posting... sorry to hear about the tradegy...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

That is an awsome story. Even better pics. I'll make it up there one day.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the young lady. That is horrible.

How much do you think that rifle weighs? 10-11lbs?

How do you tell if a ram is eight or not? What physical characteristics do you look for?