Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

another BOW Lope hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: another BOW Lope hunt

I just watched an episode of long range pursuit on the DVR. Guy shoots a mule deer at 400 and some odd yards. Clearly skylined. Deer drops and you see sky through the hole in the trees he was standing in.

Not so shocking to hear about it happening. VERY shocking to see people video it and stick it on the tube for all to see.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

We all have to decide how far it to far to be shooting Game Animals. I know with new rifles today & better BC bullets & Optics shots beyond 1000 yds the accuracy is there but, my issue is with bullet time of flight, you might be the best at reading the wind, but one never knows when that game animal is going to take another step & now it's a wounded animal. Now for shooting a sky lined animals is not only unsafe but if a Rancher saw you take that shot with his herd out there I bet you won't be invited back.
Just my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

I don't think too many are complaining about the distance. I know I'm not.

I'm complaining about shots on silhouetted animals.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

In my opinion , There are many reasons "NOT" to take a shot and only one "TO" take the shot.(You
can make it without fear of a bad shot).

Everyone that has hunted very long has made a bad shot for one reason or the other. The real difference is how you deal with a bad shot then and later.

Some will say they missed and blow it off. I have tracked many "Missed" animals for people and to there surprise, found them. and in some cases the shooter gave up tracking after a short while and I continued anyway.

I did see a bear hunt where the hit was bad, but the hunter kept looking and was very upset with himself for wounding the bear and didn't want to give up. so there are some responsible hunters
still with us that try to do it right the first time.

I for one are not upset when I have to pas up a shot. I am happy that I got to see the game and
it was just his lucky day.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
In my opinion , There are many reasons "NOT" to take a shot and only one "TO" take the shot.(You
can make it without fear of a bad shot).

Everyone that has hunted very long has made a bad shot for one reason or the other. The real difference is how you deal with a bad shot then and later.

Some will say they missed and blow it off. I have tracked many "Missed" animals for people and to there surprise, found them. and in some cases the shooter gave up tracking after a short while and I continued anyway.

I did see a bear hunt where the hit was bad, but the hunter kept looking and was very upset with himself for wounding the bear and didn't want to give up. so there are some responsible hunters
still with us that try to do it right the first time.

I for one are not upset when I have to pas up a shot. I am happy that I got to see the game and
it was just his lucky day.

J E CUSTOM
+1 you and I have a very similar code of ethics. I've taken wounded animals on more than occasion when it was obvious that who ever shot it never bothered with following up, or ran down and stopped a wounded animal because the shooter just didn't have the ability to catch em. I've made mistakes/bad shots myself but when you do you have an obligation to stay on that critters @$$ until you either confirm that it was a clean miss or put it down.

Like J.E. said though a shot or not doesn't make or break a hunt, it's the experience. To my way of thinking when that bullet heads down range the real work begins.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Very much in agreement with JE, especially about passing a shot. I read way too much on the forums I frequent about the guys that want to shoot the biggest rompin' stompin' magnums available, so they can take crappy shots and still expect to kill the animal. I was taught to take only good kill shots and pass on the "texas heart shots". After several decades of hunting, guiding, outfitting, and taking scores of big game with guns big and small, I also advocate passing on questionable shots, and I don't care what the range or what you're shooting. Sometimes it seems so much emphasis has been placed on making the kill that some hunters abandon good judgement and think this great technology is going to make up for poor shot placement, lack of training, or just a poor decision to take a marginal shot.
I hate not getting the shot when I have worked hard for it, but I think it is important to maintain perspective and remember this is not life or death, for me as the hunter, but it is for the game, and I don't want to send anything off shot to pieces to die a slow death.
Long breath.... okay, I'm done. Back to the topic. I do not like seeing the bad shots on TV like this, and I don't think it is a good idea having guys that seem to be inexperienced to long range doing the shooting on some of the episodes. IMO, it requires a heightened sense of restraint and ethics to be a long range hunter because there are so many factors that can cause a shot to go bad.
If we don't govern ourselves well, someone, somewhere, will decide they need to do it for us.