Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Annual Long Range PA Doe Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Annual Long Range PA Doe Hunt

I don't currently have any pics of the deer hit by the 50 or pics of the gun itself. I can get pics of the gun but as far as the deer all we have is the long range video. The impact whipped the deer's head back so violently that it head literally touched its shoulders. The 800 grain bullet is still carying so much energy that it has no chance to expand. So the impact of the shot is awesome but there is little more than two 50 caliber holes in the deer as a result. Obviously we weren't concerned about tracking. I dont know of any whitetail that could withstand that energy and not drop in its tracks.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter15 View Post
I don't currently have any pics of the deer hit by the 50 or pics of the gun itself. I can get pics of the gun but as far as the deer all we have is the long range video. The impact whipped the deer's head back so violently that it head literally touched its shoulders. The 800 grain bullet is still carying so much energy that it has no chance to expand. So the impact of the shot is awesome but there is little more than two 50 caliber holes in the deer as a result. Obviously we weren't concerned about tracking. I dont know of any whitetail that could withstand that energy and not drop in its tracks.
Would be interested in the video for sure!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Did all rifles get one shot kill? or a few misses?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Do you know what bullets were used out of each gun?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like a lot of fun in spite of the rain. I can see a bunch of guys sitting in the E-Z up sipping coffee and spotting for the shooter!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

To answer a few questions, there were a couple of missed shots which resulted in a called adjustment from the spotters and a dead deer the second shot. The bullets being shot were the following...the savage .338 Lapua was using a 250gr match king. The custom .338 Lapuas were using Berger's 300gr hypbrid OTM, and the .280 Ackley was shooting a 168gr Berger Hunting VLD. As for sitting around sipping coffee under the E-Z up thats exactly how it was, with the addition of tacos for lunch! It was a very entertaining day, and I'm sure we looked like a pumkin patch sitting on the top of that hill!

Last edited by Hunter15; 12-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.