Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Animals reactions to spotting shots, your experience?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Animals reactions to spotting shots, your experience?

I watched some LRH videos today, where numerous spotting shots were taken and the critters didn't react what so ever, but also seen groundhogs spook at dirt kicking up next to them at 800+ yards.

What is your experience with spotting shots? Did they spook game? Or only if there was a visual report near the target from bullet impact?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Animals reactions to spotting shots, your experience?

Last year I missed a steep shot at a deer at about 800 yards due to not inputting the cosine angle.

Anyway the Stag I shot at took off very quick as the bullet wizzed by, two inches over his back and slammed into the dirt behind.

However another deer feeding 20m away kept on feeding and did not react at all.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

A lot has to do with the weather and terrain in my area, if there is snow or heavy over cast with some wind they almost never even have an idea till he second one catches them. On a bright sunny day with little wind, it doesn't take nearly as much, though I've smoke an antelope LR and had the whole herd run to me because the sound of the echo on the hill they were on pushed them more.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Bronze Member

I watched two idiots launch 9 rounds at maybe the biggest bull elk I have ever seen from less than 250 yards without it ever moving or them ever touching it. It was opening day of rifle season. The herd he was with was freaked out as can be but the wind was blowing in the right direction and they just couldn't figure out where the shots were coming from so they stood still.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Your experiences are all very similar to mine. It depends on the enviroment. As long as everything around the deer is moving a little in the wind and such they don't react, but if all is still and quiet and then some dirt blows up next to them, they know something is up.

Keep em coming! The more we have we could almost set up a set of parameters of when you most likely can get away with a spotting shot.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Monday morning (2 days ago) at 222 yards. Small buck crossing right to left in front of me, very low wind. I shot (too quickly) before he disappeared behind a big, fluffy pine tree and he acted as if nothing happened as it went below him. I fully expected him to run but I got lucky on this one.

He sauntered about 10 yards to the next opening and I hit him right there. Walked another 20 yards and all 4 feet flipped into the air.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

Dr. Vette,

very interesting! I would have expected him to run off as well at 222 yards.

Can everyone also include what the hunting pressure is like where these things occured? As I believe that is a factor.