Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Angle compensating Vs. shot angle calculating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Angle compensating Vs. shot angle calculating

Fellas I have question concerning shooting at extreme angles.

My range finder has angle compinsating ability and I have a touch of faith in it but I am wandering if I would be better turning off the angle compinsation mode and relying on a cosine indicator to feed the numbers in to the ballistic program rather than enter zero in the shot angle spot. thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: Angle compensating Vs. shot angle calculating

I guess it all depends on how accurate the angle compensation mode is .
I would think as long as you range the actual target angle or close to it . Then it should be close enough as anything else .
If you are getting hits with it now , why look for more complication.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Well you see here in louisiana I would have to climb up a cell tower or somthing since it is very flat and the angle accuracy can not realy be tested and I would like to have this prety well sorted out buy next Elk season.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

I see your problem . The only way to be sure is by shooting down a slope at a target and test the range finders angle against the angle provided by a cosign indicator . The only place I can see with a bit of hilly country is at the end of Magnolia Trail , Cypress lane , Quail run , on the right past Parish RD 108 and the road to the left at the end . Maybe someone would let you set up a target and take a few shots down into their paddocks.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

I was hopeing sombody from the high could chime in on any comparison that they have made in real world shooting .
I have concerns that when you use a angle compensating range finder and feed the numbers in to the program with less yardage due to extreme angles but with 0 degrees in slope in stead of actual distance, you will have a shorter time of flight whitch will not allow for accurate windage calculations .
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I went through the same thing when I got my G7 RF. I did test at some pretty steep angles against my manual method of measuring the angle and entering it into the calculator. Turned out to be exactly the same. I would probably test any RF for this before relying on it. I also tested the ballistic computer, temperature, and density output in the G7 which also marches the output of Shooter and Ballistic FTE. Sure is a lot faster.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Gold Member

Yep! Not too many mountains near Natchitoches, La.! Even flatter 70 miles northeast from there!