Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Android Or Iphone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: Android Or Iphone

Boy, there sure are a lot of Apple "kool-aid drinkers" out there. No one likes the Android?? Just proves the "cult" following of Apple.

Before I start getting hate mail....... I'm only kidding, kind of, anyway. I am writing this on a MAC and have had an Iphone. So I'm certainly not anti Apple.

That said, the Android platform has more phones out than the Iphone. The Iphone will not do 4gLTE service so if you don't want speeds of 15 to 30 meg then stick with the SLOW Iphone.

Shooter, and BulletFlight are both available on Android and are the best phone based programs out there.

I am using a Droid Razer which has a larger better screen, it is less than half as thick, and weighs less than half of an Iphone. So for all you Iphone robots out there, go ahead and stick with an overpriced underperforming phone just so you can look cool and tell everyone, "yeah, I'm with it cause I gotta Iphone........
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

My son has had a few issues with his droid X, but he loads tons of pics.. like thousands, and many many apps and music and crap. I have been using Droid x for a year now. It has worked flawlessly. The only thing I use it for is "Shooter" phone and GPS. The screen is large and Ican see it without glasses.

I like it! But I will look at my sons new i-phoe and see if it has anything to offer me.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Boy, there sure are a lot of Apple "kool-aid drinkers" out there. No one likes the Android?? Just proves the "cult" following of Apple.

Before I start getting hate mail....... I'm only kidding, kind of, anyway. I am writing this on a MAC and have had an Iphone. So I'm certainly not anti Apple.

That said, the Android platform has more phones out than the Iphone. The Iphone will not do 4gLTE service so if you don't want speeds of 15 to 30 meg then stick with the SLOW Iphone.

Shooter, and BulletFlight are both available on Android and are the best phone based programs out there.

I am using a Droid Razer which has a larger better screen, it is less than half as thick, and weighs less than half of an Iphone. So for all you Iphone robots out there, go ahead and stick with an overpriced underperforming phone just so you can look cool and tell everyone, "yeah, I'm with it cause I gotta Iphone........
I got the iPhone bc all of my buddies said I was behind the times w/o one! I got sucked in!! I have no loyalty and frankly don't know diddly about any of the new smart phones.

I was told by a former Apple employee that the iPhone is nothing more than the iPod with a cheap phone in it. No? Yes?

I would really like some advice from you guys who are long time users so I can decide by the end of this month. My wife is convinced she wants an iPhone but that's bc her cousin and mom have them.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

This whole discussion will likely be irrelevant since the pace of advances in this space is moving so fast that whatever we are using today will be outdated in a year more or less. For using a ballistic app, doesn't matter much as they can all handle this rather
mundane software requirement. I happen to use and like the I Phone because I have used it for a couple of years and it's dead nuts reliable and has a lot of other additional apps that I can take advantage of. Probably would have felt the same if I had used a Droid except there were no decent apps and the platform was primative back then. As to the significance of the market share of the Droids.....+90% of rifle shooters use factory ammo.....

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post

Now thats some funny stuff right there!
Guys, I seriously know less than nothing about these smart phones. I really like the advantage of having a bigger screen. I had my eyes fixed so I could see better at long distances. Now I cannot see up close without my bifocals. I do not give a hoot about brands, I do not need music, movies or local shopping mall conditions. I need a phone, GPS, Internet (So I can see what you guys are talking about) and ballistic software. That is it nothing more.

I just spoke with a tech at Verizon store. They have the Razor in stock and it is a $100.00 cheaper. Don't really care about the 100 bucks. I tried to buy the Iphone 32mb but could not get it until the end of month. Went with the 64mb only because I could get it by Wednesday.

Anyway lots of opinions, Droid Razor or Iphone? I can have Razor today .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRTSHTR View Post
Now thats some funny stuff right there!
Guys, I seriously know less than nothing about these smart phones. I really like the advantage of having a bigger screen. I had my eyes fixed so I could see better at long distances. Now I cannot see up close without my bifocals. I do not give a hoot about brands, I do not need music, movies or local shopping mall conditions. I need a phone, GPS, Internet (So I can see what you guys are talking about) and ballistic software. That is it nothing more.

I just spoke with a tech at Verizon store. They have the Razor in stock and it is a $100.00 cheaper. Don't really care about the 100 bucks. I tried to buy the Iphone 32mb but could not get it until the end of month. Went with the 64mb only because I could get it by Wednesday.

Anyway lots of opinions, Droid Razor or Iphone? I can have Razor today .

Like I said, I was mainly just messing with everyone. Both are good phones, and both will run the ballistic apps just the same. It really comes down to a "Ford vs Chevy" thing.

Early on, there were not a lot of apps for the Android phones, that has changed now. Pretty much anything available for one is available for the other.

I have been using Android based phones for about 3 years and have had my Droid Razer for a couple of months. It works great, and I like it better than the Iphone. That is my opinion, but don't let me talk you into anything. Both do apps, email, internet and of course they still make phone calls.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

I recommend considering what you use the phone for.

First of all, I am not an Apple Fan-boy. I find many "Apple people" disagree with private gun ownership. That aside, I had a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone that was just not usable.
  • I needed to make calls without fat-fingering the keypad while driving.
  • I did not want to unlock the keypad again to press 1 for English.
  • I wanted to easily get a map with traffic on it, while driving.
  • I wanted a phone with GPS where the GPS worked without cell coverage.
  • I wanted a camera that would take good pictures, not just sell the megapixel

A number of people had iPhones at work and I am able to do all of that on my 4s. White was all that was available at the time and I hate while. The phone does what I want though.

The resale on my Samsung Omnia was $4. iPhones have higher resale and as there are not 100s of varieties, it is a little more stable. Can you get what I wanted with an Android? - quite possibly, but I don't know.