Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ammo and Reloading Component Availability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ammo and Reloading Component Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
Google "DHS buys ammo". Scary.

Also, you will find that ICE bought millions of rounds....including HPs. Uh, how often do ICE agents fire their guns in an active chase or investigation??? It is very rare, and that's part probably of the border control problem. I think they must have fired a total of 500 rounds or less during enforcement operations over the last 12 months. Same with Social Security Admin.
That is some interesting info...I hadn't heard anything about that.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

Store owners are not happy about it at all. Not just because of the lost sales of components but also of guns. They tell me that people are not buying guns as a result of the ammo shortage, or are trying select guns based on the ammo that's available.

If it is public stock piling that's causing it, this should end soon because people's shooting habits have not increased proportionate to the purchases, and after a while everyone will either have run out of money or stockpiled enough that they're not worried about every buying a round again.

If it is because of the govt buying everything up, then who knows? All they have to do is raise our taxes to afford to continue stockpiling. They know no limits.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

All I know is that I cannot buy sqaut. Everytime I go into Sportsman Warehouse in Twin Falls, Idaho, I start laughing. I mean---nothing. Glad I have three muzzleloaders!

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
All I know is that I cannot buy sqaut. Everytime I go into Sportsman Warehouse in Twin Falls, Idaho, I start laughing. I mean---nothing. Glad I have three muzzleloaders!

Randy
Yup, Sportsmans Warehouse in Reno is 1 that I check regularly, and same deal here. They did have some handgun ammo though.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Yeah. Nothing in any stores here. The powder problem is, everything comes from out of the country (ie. hodgdon is made in Australia). They are not letting powder through customs. There is 300,000 lbs of powder as of a month ago, probably more now, just sitting in customs awaiting clearance to be delivered.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
Yeah. Nothing in any stores here. The powder problem is, everything comes from out of the country (ie. hodgdon is made in Australia). They are not letting powder through customs. There is 300,000 lbs of powder as of a month ago, probably more now, just sitting in customs awaiting clearance to be delivered.

How did you find this information ? Can you provide a link to read about this ?
I was told that Hogdon told a business owner that they will not produce any powder for the public until about 6 more weeks then it would start to ship out as they got it . I dont have any proof other than hear say and you know how that can be some times.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Well mine is just hearsay also. A guy on snipers hide and a guy on surplus rifle forum both said the same thing. Where they got it I do not know