Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ammo help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Ammo help

I posted a thread on another part of this site with no luck. I probably should have posted it here. New rifle ( T/C Dimension in 7mm rem mag) and needing to know what the best factory ammo choices are for deer hunting out to 700 yards. I will also be doing some target shooting for fun since I can only use rifle 3 weekends out of the hunting season. I am leaning towards the Hornady SST 154 gr superformance ammo. Also, how accurate are the numbers that Hornady (or any manu for the matter) post for their ammo? The round I am looking at says 3100 FPS with a .525 BCE.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ammo help

The best factory 7mm RemMag ammo I found (before I started handloading) was Nosler Custom Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Spitzer Box of but this Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Box of will work just fine, too.

I am not a fan of the 140 or 150gr bullets for the magnum 7mm calibers, although there are lots of guys out there who have excellent luck with them. I do shoot 140's out of my 7mm-08, but as for my magnum 7mm's, I have always shot 160's (11 years) with no issues, and no reason to stop.

Your gun might prefer the 140's, you just never know.

One of the main reasons I got into handloading was b/c I couldn't buy the ammo I wanted for my 7Mag for a reasonable price. I wanted 160gr Accubonds factory loaded, and at the time Nosler was the only company doing so, and back then it was still about $60.00 a box of 20. Not to mention that my .257 Wby and 7mm STW ammo had also peaked at $80 a box of 20. Then Federal quit loading my STW ammo with 160 Accubonds...... So, that left me with no other alternative......And handloading has been the single best thing I've ever done for my shooting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you for the reply. There is a 162 gr choice in the hornady as well. The ammo you mentioned has great reviews. Any idea of how available that ammo is? With what you are saying about how a gun likes different gr bullets than another. I plan on shooting some of the ammo recommendations and seeing what works best for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

If you know what your barrel's twist rate is, then that will determine what kind grain bullets it will prefer. If it is a 1:9 or 1:9.5 it will like the 160-190gr bullets. If it is a 1:10 it will prefer the 140-150.

I just did a quick Google search and it shows that the new Dimension 7mm Rem Mags have a 1:10 twist barrel. So your's will most likely prefer the 140's to 150 grain bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM

It is actually at 1:9 rate of twist. The 300 win mag is a 1:10 rate of twist.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Here's where I looked....Their info must be wrong.

7MM REM MAG DIMENSION *RIFLE BARREL 24 INCH BLUE | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

But I see on Thompson's website it shows 1:9.....Hmmm, oh well, guess Midsouth got it wrong.

1:9, I'd shoot 160-180gr bullets. But that's just me. There's lots of guys shooting 140's out of a 1:9 twist. Personally, I've just always preferred the 160's in a 7Mag, since that's what I've always shot in them.

Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

I shoot 7MM rem mag. I started hand loading a while back and I love it. I started out to practice and right off I had awesome results. I started with a speer boat tail 160 grain and 175 grand slam. I shot a deer at 500 yards and blew a whole the size of my fist going in.

I then upgraded to nosler accubond 160 grain with decent success. My best performing bullet has been the Berger 168 gr. hunting VLD. I am getting good groups out to 1000 yards.

I had an old timer hunting buddy that used to shoot 30-06 and he would have a pocket of whatever bullets and I think he only shot 3 to 5 rounds a year with who knows what grain or brand of ammo. He always killed his elk every year. Luckiest dam guy I have ever seen. Maybe it was his way of embellishing a story. Who gives a **** what ammo you shoot if you can't hit the animal! Make a vital shot and I don't care what bullet you have its a dead deer!