Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Amax fail- berger to the rescue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Amax fail- berger to the rescue

Had a one tag that needed filling today & decided to take my 3 year old son out to help (and a good friend to help with the help). We found our prey at just over 100 yards in the trees & I opened fire. I put six 208 amax's into it from my 300 Whizzum & even though I saw it shiver with every hit, it just stood there.

It wasn't trying to escape, so I let the barrel cool for a few minutes while I grabbed the AR. I could see my POI clearly & sent 6 more amax's into our prey- but it stood there still. I was seeing my impacts pretty well even with the recoil, and was getting concerned about having enough gun for the job.

I did a "controlled mag dump" with the AR & 73 grain bergers- and it stood there!

Feeling somewhat desperate, I grabbed my friend's SASS & sent 6- 168 grain classic hunters into it- yes! It finally fell!

Man, I'm tellin ya, them bergers really saved the day! My beloved amax's really let me down. They've tipped over everything else I've shot with them, but the Christmas tree proved to be beyond their abilities.

Now I know- for topping trees at 120 yards, use bergers.

Here's the close up of the kill shot
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Amax fail- berger to the rescue

Have you checked a chronograph. Might not be the bullets, could be you've got a temperature sensitive powder problem. Your cut looks a little jagged have you considered your scope could be shifting a bit. Hopefully, the bottom of that tree will square up enough to stand straight. Merry Christmas!

I wasn't going to put up a tree this year, I might have to re think that.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

A lot cheaper to use a axe But if that's the way you want to bag your Christmas tree, I highly recommend the Nosler BT. 4 or 5 rounds would have done the job. HoHoHo!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

That is awesome! I have found that a 20ga works nicely on trees in the 3 to 4 inch range.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Try the 500 nitro express next time.

I wonder how many people will think your shot an animal?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptuna View Post
Try the 500 nitro express next time.

I wonder how many people will think your shot an animal?
At first I did, then I got to the end and he said "Christmas tree" and all I could do was laugh, because you know we've ALL tried to cut down a tree with a gun before. I know I have. LOL

Glad to see the Bergers were wearing it out...From animals to trees Berger gets the job done.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Lol nice. Your going to have to come up with a good marinade to make that kill edible. Few cups if wstr per day may work. Merry Christmas