Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Am I nuts??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Am I nuts??????

The reason I say this is because I want to build a long range hunting rifle using a sako finnlight 85. my plan would be to buy a long action sako and convert the barrel to a 6.5x284.

is this nuts? would i be better off just getting a custom? please give me some pros/cons and if this seems feasible, who would you recommend to perform this work?

thanks guys!!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Am I nuts??????

If you were going to get that gun, then I would have to say to just go the custom route. If you buy it new, they are anywhere from $1400 to $1500 for just the factory gun. Then you send it to the gunsmith to get it blueprinted, cost of the custom barrel, new trigger (if you are getting one), and the cost of the smiths work. You are already looking at the cost of a whole custom gun by then.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Yep...u'r nuts. But hey, its fun!!

However your thinkin' isn't very cost effective. To purchase a complete new rifle simply for the donor action seems a waste of resources.

Call Jewel trigger and ask what one costs for a Remmy clone action. It'll surprise you.

Price a barrel from any of the manufacturers. Gonna spend that anyway to replace the bbl from the donor action.

Price a custom action and consider delivery time. It'll surprise you too.

The only "extra" thing you'll need is a stock. That'll make the big difference in cost of the custom. Smith charges will be about the same for either the donor approach of custom approach.

Chew the fat with Jim See and see what comes out.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

My hunting buddy is shooting a Finnlight 300 win.Worked on his loads and has a Swaro? 5-25 w/dial. He shot a Whitey 5x5 this year @758 yrd.22 degree.4SHOTS 4 hits.The gun shoots well
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
My hunting buddy is shooting a Finnlight 300 win.Worked on his loads and has a Swaro? 5-25 w/dial. He shot a Whitey 5x5 this year @758 yrd.22 degree.4SHOTS 4 hits.The gun shoots well

Am I missing something? He shot a 5x5, got that part....

but 4 shots... 4hits? What the heck.... If you need 3 follow up shots, I wouldnt say that the gun shoots well, but thats just me. I dunno...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Nope. Not nuts. I do believe that the recoil lug is a better set up in the sako 75 model but I don't actually have a 85. I am a bit of sako 75 nut though and I have 3 customs on 75 actions and they all shoot. None were trued at all. Just barreled and bedded in mcmillians. Instead of 6.5-284 I went with the 6.5-06. Very close in performance
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsbriar View Post
The reason I say this is because I want to build a long range hunting rifle using a sako finnlight 85. my plan would be to buy a long action sako and convert the barrel to a 6.5x284.

is this nuts? would i be better off just getting a custom? please give me some pros/cons and if this seems feasible, who would you recommend to perform this work?

thanks guys!!
If you are asking this question and hanging out with us, yes, you are nuts.

Welcome.