Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

AM ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 AM

Re: AM ??

Thanks Kirby and all.

I was Thinking:

1.It's already a single shot
2.I might get an overall shorter handier package with the long barrel required.
3.No need to go to an aftermarket stock.

Thanks for the info guys.

Mike
Old 11-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

I just went through Ruger hell with a No. 1 in .338 that belongs to my brother. The rifle shot well for many years, then just went to pot in a handbasket. Shifting wood on the forearm was the culprit. I sent the gun back to Ruger and they removed part of the pressure point then torqued the forearm screw to suit their ammo. As soon as they got a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards they returned the rifle. Their accuracy guarantee in 2 inches at 100 yards.

I am about over this rifle. The gun groups about 1 3/8 at 100 yards out of a Lead Sled, but on conventional bags the group not only opens up, the POI shifts. With a bi-pod in prone the rifle just sucks. I suppose I could go with a barrel tensioning device, etc. but why fight it?

Kirby is being kind. I wouldn't trust the rifle to 500 yards on something as big as an elk. The rifle is going away in favor of a bolt gun.

Before you think I am bashing Ruger 1's, my brother (he is left handed) has two other Number One's and both of them are tack drivers, a .270 Win and a .22-250. FWIW, the premier shop in the country for accurizing Number One rifles won't even chamber one in a magnum caliber.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Roy
[ QUOTE ]
I've had a love/hate relationship with each one I've had except for the 375 that I now have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that your are referring to a gun and that you do not have three hundred and seventy five wives?

[/ QUOTE ]

The humor around here slays me. Yeh, I have but one wife and she's a good one. Not much for shootin' stuff but a good one none the less. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This H&H is a sweet heart. Every thing I stick in it from factory to had loads hangs around 1.3MOA. Good enough to put down anything I can hit at a reasonable distance like SRH (short range hunting)