Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Aluminum firing pin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Aluminum firing pin

Would this material be acceptable for a firing pin or would it be too weak and fail? I figure it would probably wear at the tip. Any thougts?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Aluminum firing pin

I know from being a machinist, aluminum is a very soft materials. However with proper metallurgy, one might be able to get an aluminum pin to work. My concern would be failure due to bending and crushing of the point. I know T-6061 is pretty durable aluminum and used in many hard metal applications. I know that there is harder, but not sure what it would be.

One would befit from Titanium though. I think a Ti bolt handle assembly, firing pin and barrel lug, trigger assemblies, coupled with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and stock, you would have about a 5# rifle with scope... maybe, but that thing would need a massive muzzle break. That would be freaking awesome. If they can use it in a pistol frame, I don't know why it couldn't be used in rifle applications. That would be about a $10,000.00 rifle though. You start getting into ceramics and Beryllium, you start dropping weight. You could make a 3# rifle ($10,000 to $15,000 rifle).

Ain't science grand?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

I was thinking 7075 which i think is harder.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
I was thinking 7075 which i think is harder.

I was talking to my cousin. Using Titanium would be the better option. It is very hard and light. If I'm not mistaken you can probably find them. Be prepared to pay triple or double that of hardened steel pin.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Is Ti more expensive to machine than steel or aluminum, being that it is harder? JohnnyK.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
Is Ti more expensive to machine than steel or aluminum, being that it is harder? JohnnyK.

It probably turns about like quality grade stainless steel. You need to use nitride coated ceramic bits and it is extremely light compared to any other common metals i.e.: Aluminum, Steel, Stainless Steel. Other machinist will be able to say better than me.

Tank