Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Almost done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Almost done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Finally got some more info! I guess he has a long throat. To the lands with the 208s, the COA length is 3.131". That doesn't leave enough bullet in the case though, so even at .2xx seated in the cartridge he is reaching out to 3.050" COAL for case capacity. This means he is jumping the 208 AMAX at a distance of ~81 thou. This is probably not normal, but the freebore on Jonathan's rifle is considerable. He's really lucky it shoots so good.

Something else worth mentioning is he ruined a bunch of Win brass at 49g of R17. The load shot well at 1k, but the primer pockets opened up on most of the 49g loads. The primers are too loose for safe use now. I think he's going back to 48.4g as that load shot well also, and will keep an eye out for pressure as the ambient temps increase. It's already in the low to mid 70s here, for now.

Sweet, good info. Thanks for the heads up. Haven't had a chance to shoot the 208's yet for pressure testing. I have some loaded up waiting to be fired. Any velocity numbers by chance?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Great looking stick!!!! Congrats In your original post you said the rifle was 300WSM but you switched back to a 308 because of brass problems. Kirby is currently finishing up a 300 WSM for me and I was curious to know what problems you experienced.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Sweet, good info. Thanks for the heads up. Haven't had a chance to shoot the 208's yet for pressure testing. I have some loaded up waiting to be fired. Any velocity numbers by chance?

Tank
Not yet sir. We would've chronod it the other day when I took the '06 out but Johnny sent his scope back to IOR, great customer service by the way, as well as Scott at Liberty Optics- they went out of their way to replace a damaged scope that was damaged by the person using it and was in no way the manufacturer's fault, the customer service was awesome- but as soon as the new scope gets here we'll get it done for sure.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308ltr View Post
Great looking stick!!!! Congrats In your original post you said the rifle was 300WSM but you switched back to a 308 because of brass problems. Kirby is currently finishing up a 300 WSM for me and I was curious to know what problems you experienced.

Don't know if it was my loads or what, but initial tests with Win brass would show little to no pressure. I would reload to do a final test and would end up with good load. I would load a third time and the spread would come a part a little. I would do an annealing and the fourth loading would be tight to eject. Fifth loading would stick really bad and accuracy was nonexistent. At that point I would be pulling my hair out (what little I have left) wondering what was going on. I would use 62.0 grains of H4350 and first test proved okay. But gradually I would get pressure and flattened primers with the exact same load. I came across an article somewhere, where guys were going away from Winchester brass and using Rem and Norma brass exclusively because it offered better brass life. I wish I would have thought of that before I gave it up. But I do still have my 300WSM barrel I can through on should I decide to go back to it. The beauty of the Savage is that it is a quick swap and I am back in business with the WSM. Thinking I might get some Rem brass to test this theory. QC on the Win brass is lacking also.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

I wish I had read your post yesterday. I just order 200 win brass and it's too late to cancel. I'll give it a go anyway but atleast I won't have to pull any hairs when they start to fail. I don't have much left either.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308ltr View Post
I wish I had read your post yesterday. I just order 200 win brass and it's too late to cancel. I'll give it a go anyway but atleast I won't have to pull any hairs when they start to fail. I don't have much left either.

Who did you order from? If you ordered from Midway USA or Cabela's you can send it back for an exchange. Depending on how heavy a bullet you want to shoot, you may not have that issue. If you are going to shoot heavies, I would suggest a light load of RL17, or try some IMR 7828, or Retumbo. H1000 is too slow from what I gather. Which really doesn't make sense because the other two are slower. That was my next try on powders. I was going to go with IMR 7828 and see what that did for me.

Tank

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I bought the brass from a private seller and already sent payment. I'll just have to deal with it. I plan on shoot 180g Barnes or 180g Nosler Accubonds on a trip to Africa this June. I may go heavier but I really like the performance of these bullets. I hope my new rifle agrees