Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Almost done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Almost done!

Well... here is my long awaited project. Don't know if you all remember, but it started life as a stock Savage VLP Mod 12 in .308 then I rechambered to 300WSM. I then tweaked on it as I could afford, but never quite got it to where I wanted it to be. For being mostly factory (except the break and skim bedding coat) it shot very well. Half minute happened often and 3/4 was the norm. Just got tired of being beaten on and having hit and miss accuracy due to brass problems. So it has been returned to a .308 Winny and initial groups even during break in look promising (3 shot bug holes). I bought a Wheeler engineering nut wrench and action wrench. I used some borrowed headspace gauges to set the barrel.

Here's the equipment list:

Savage Mod 12 VLP action
EGW 20MOA base
Weaver Tactical rings
Horus ASLI level w/cosine indicator
Lothar Walther 1:12, 6 groove, 28"
SSS Comp. Barrel Lug
B&C Medalist A2
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 w/target dot
Homemade break by a previous smith, but will be replaced w/ a muscle break.
Harris swivel bi-pod 9-13"

Reduced: 62% of original size [ 1023 x 682 ] - Click to view full image

I'm waiting on a mandrel from PT&G that will allow me to lap the bolt face. I am also waiting for someone to have an aftermarket bolt knob available. They all seem to be out of stock. Right now my sights are set on the BA/T 110 Handle from Savage to come in at Midway. I think it will just look awesome on my rifle. The stock was originally black, but didn't set with me. So I got some ultra flat Krylon camo OD Green and gave it a once over. I think she looks pretty good.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Almost done!

Hey partner, That looks great! Looks like something that I want to do in the near future. Hope she shoots as good as she looks. Post some pics and let us know when you find out.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Like it!! Can't go wrong with what you got going there Sure wish I had something along those lines so I didn't have to rebarrel every winter, I need something that I can shoot for years without torching of the barrel!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Very nicely done and well thought out. Maybe if we get together and shoot later on this year I'll get to take a peek at it.
If you don't mind answering this question, roughly what's the ballpark figure on the gun?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Very nice looking rifle, what pills are you shooting in her with a 1x12 twist.

I just bought myself the savage mod 10 FCP HS Precision in 308.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebob View Post
Very nice looking rifle, what pills are you shooting in her with a 1x12 twist.

I just bought myself the savage mod 10 FCP HS Precision in 308.
The majority of my shooting will be with 175 class bullets. I really want to shoot the 178 Hornady BTHP, but right after I bought some from Midway, they have been out of stock since. So if things don't change, I will probably be shooting either the 175 JLK or 180LBT JLK. If I go with the 180's then it will be my primary bullet. If I go 175's then I will try and get a load worked up with the 208 A-max using RL17. It is shooting 175 SMK's really well right now with 43.5 grains of IMR 4064, and the 178's are doing well with a similar load.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosesniper2000 View Post
Very nicely done and well thought out. Maybe if we get together and shoot later on this year I'll get to take a peek at it.
If you don't mind answering this question, roughly what's the ballpark figure on the gun?
As is right now about $1570. That isn't including the initial rifle purchase 2yrs ago. Breaks down like this:

Action- $375 (estimated due to being a donor from an $800 rifle originally Mod12 VLP w/DBM)
Barrel- $500 (specified contour, chambered, hand lapped, threaded for muzzle break, threaded for my action)
Scope-$275 w/ Butler creeks (closeout sale on swfa.com)
Stock-$220
Rings-$35
Base-$40
Recoil Lug-$35
Bi-pod$89

I still want to get a bolt handle, and target trigger set up to lighten it up a bit more. I would like to be in at 12 to 14oz. Right now its better part of 1.5lb pull.

Tank