Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Allen builds-- Anyone order one recently?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Bronze Member

Allen builds-- Anyone order one recently?

Has anyone recently had rifles built and/or shipped by Kirby recently? Has anyone needed to order brass from him, or any components for that matter? Were there Any problems obtaining brass, dies, etc?

Much of the talk and people who posted pics and reviews of his work have praised him and I just want to be Sure none of this has changed before I send off a 3k deposit.

I'm looking to order a XHS in 338 Allen and just need some reassurance as I have heard he runs a first class operation, I just haven't found anything posted in the last couple years, as it seems the talk on his rigs has fallen off.

Any good, or bad feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Allen builds-- Anyone order one recently?

Kirby still does great work.... I'm guessing he is buried in it.... Last I heard lead times are a year....he might not be looking for any more work right now
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

I have one if Kirbys 338A M one order. He originally told me 12-15 months, its been 13 now. I got an email from him the other day, he is haveing problems getting actions from BAT. He has sevral that have been ordered from BAT for over a year that they havent sent him yet. I quess I dont have a choise except to be patient.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

At times it is what it is. I ordered a 338 AM the last month of 2011. There were some setbacks encountered along the way, currently waiting to hear from Kirby on the status of the build. I'm confident the lag time is due to building the best possible product for the customer in light of setbacks.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

You are not going to here from him right now. Every year around tax time he gets swamped and people freak out about him not responding but give him a little bit and he will. I know this because I was in that boat last year but I still sent him money for another gun.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have 2 of his rifles. The fastest delivery was in 2006 when he was just getting going. Sweet rig!!!

Second one, couple of years ago, was a bit longer. Again a sweet rig. In fact a bit more than sweet!!!

Kirby is a one man operation and does take some time to hunt. A fella has gotta keep the mind straight.

It'll take whatever time it takes but you can rest assured that you will get what you paid for AND it will shoot. If it don't shoot he won't ship.

I am confident that when he is done with it will be of meticulous fit and finish and will shoot!

The 338 AM is most probably the most reasonable heavy duty LR rig in existence. I have the 375 AM and it is not noticeably more than the 338 but it is more. Only 50 grains more bullet.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I got my 338 Allen last fall. It had some issues with the magazine he caught before it left his shop and issue with the stiller action that he caught. Great guy, he actually posted a review of my gun and the Bertram brass last fall on here. It's the desert camo gun he was shooting over a mile. These rifles are worth the wait. I talked to Kirby the other day and he is busy right now so communication may be a little slow at the moment.