Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

I have a Remington model seven stainless steel chambered in 7mm saum. I traded a Remington 788 in 308 straight across for it. The guy did not reload and was sick of paying 40 bucks a box for ammo. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with my reloads. It is lightweight and has felt recoil of a 308. It is my first long range rig. I figure with the dies, brass, and a centerpoint scope i have under 850 dollars in it. It has been alot of fun but i would like to upgrade it to a better stock, unfortunatly noboby offers one.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigtexan View Post
I have a Remington model seven stainless steel chambered in 7mm saum. I traded a Remington 788 in 308 straight across for it. The guy did not reload and was sick of paying 40 bucks a box for ammo. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with my reloads. It is lightweight and has felt recoil of a 308. It is my first long range rig. I figure with the dies, brass, and a centerpoint scope i have under 850 dollars in it. It has been alot of fun but i would like to upgrade it to a better stock, unfortunatly noboby offers one.
Actually there are some out there to be had.

Classic Replacement Stocks for a Remington Rifles

StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Product List

StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Product List

The Seven hasn't been around long, but the longer they are, the more aftermarket gear will become available.

Model 7 is a nice little rifle to start with, and being a Remington you can do a lot with it in the future if you decide to upgrade.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

thank you
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

Check Pawn shops you can pick up a donor rifle very reasonable .I found a savage110 in 7mmRem Mag for 275 and it shoot 1moa with my handloads. I have not done anything to the rifle besides putting a nikon buckmaster scope on it and a trigger job hope this helps someone
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Bump because it's a great thread and we have some new people here looking for how/where to get started.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

Good thread. Everyone I meet is intimidated by the money but I have still managed some converts............... Still my best long range rifle: savage 116bgh 24" 338 win $490...... re-chamber to 338 edge $50.......muzzle brake $75.........choate tactical stock $200......harris bipod $100........... 4200 elite 6-24x50 $550.....elite 1500 lrf $300 Ammo$$$$oh ya...............5/16 group at 100 and the ability to put serious hurt on a 5" target over and over again at a thousand yards $PRICELESS$ ............ My first long range gun was an AK on steroids $640 and that little 4X scope that came with it had turrets and got me hooked. I have heavily modified that rifle but most people would be shocked at what the most basic tools are capable of with a little elbow grease and a whole bunch of trigger time..
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

SEE HOW MANY OF US GOT INTO LONG RANGE SHOOTING AT BARGAIN PRICES...

WANNA KNOW HOW WE KNEW " HOW TO ? "

WE STAYED OFF FACEBOOK AND TWITTERING IDIOTS - THATS WHY WE KNEW HOW TO !!!!

Long Live Anarchy ( ANARCHY : DOWN WITH THE KING and then only the Nobles who took flight called the peasants " Anarchists " )

" If this be democracy , then I'd rather have anarchy ! " JC Hedj 1976