Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

I figure once I find myself a good combo I like I will pay however much it costs. Reasoning is I don't want to be stuck with mid range when I decide I really enjoy shooting from afar and sell the old setup at a loss and move up. From the responses I got in the old thread I started I am looking for a good .338LM combo, I guess I need to start stocking up on dinty moore cans.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvystroke View Post
I figure once I find myself a good combo I like I will pay however much it costs. Reasoning is I don't want to be stuck with mid range when I decide I really enjoy shooting from afar and sell the old setup at a loss and move up. From the responses I got in the old thread I started I am looking for a good .338LM combo, I guess I need to start stocking up on dinty moore cans.
Not sure if it's still here or not but there was a .338LM in a Remington Police Special in the classifieds section.

If I remember right the guy was asking around 1,300.00.

You can find some great deals on the "super magnums" frequently with very low round counts because a lot of people want one so bad their teeth ache and then they get it and shoot it a little and can't tolerate the recoil or the price of shooting it, or just decide they need something more practical.

Just do what I do. When I decide there's a new gun/scope whatever I need I start squirreling away my money and once I have it I just start looking in the classifieds, gun broker etc and try to find one well worth the money and under market price.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

You can find some great deals on the "super magnums" frequently with very low round counts because a lot of people want one so bad their teeth ache and then they get it and shoot it a little and can't tolerate the recoil or the price of shooting it, or just decide they need something more practical.
BINGO!! Thats the most truthful statement Ive seen in print on this BB is awhile.

Guys want the "BIGGUNS" so bad their teeth ache....and after 6 months of hard shooting their teeth DO ACHE!

Even if I didnt want to keep what brains I have still attached inside my skull...I have no place to even shoot a rifle capable of 1000 yards. I keep telling my gunsmith that but he keeps telling me I need ( I said need...lol) some rompin stompin 338 "Power Blaster"..... I think he just wants my money is all.

Myself...if I wanted to do more or even some larger caliber shooting Id go and buy another Rem 700 VLS model only this time in 308; adjust the trigger on it and slap this spare Zeiss I have here on top and pick up a bucketfull of ammo ( 308 is sure cheap enough) and go and bang away till my brains rattled...
Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
BINGO!! Thats the most truthful statement Ive seen in print on this BB is awhile.

Guys want the "BIGGUNS" so bad their teeth ache....and after 6 months of hard shooting their teeth DO ACHE!

Even if I didnt want to keep what brains I have still attached inside my skull...I have no place to even shoot a rifle capable of 1000 yards. I keep telling my gunsmith that but he keeps telling me I need ( I said need...lol) some rompin stompin 338 "Power Blaster"..... I think he just wants my money is all.

Myself...if I wanted to do more or even some larger caliber shooting Id go and buy another Rem 700 VLS model only this time in 308; adjust the trigger on it and slap this spare Zeiss I have here on top and pick up a bucketfull of ammo ( 308 is sure cheap enough) and go and bang away till my brains rattled...
Hey trust me I don't knock anyone who wants to shoot a cannon, hell it's cool. I just have no need for one and there's nothing in N. America or most of the world short of cape buff and elephants I can't kill stone dead out to a 1,000yds with the 7STW and 300 Rum.

I just really encourage anyone that thinks they want one to find someone that already does who will let them shoot their's before tying up a bunch of money on one.

I've seen so many of the super magnums for sale with less than a hundred rounds through them it's amazing.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Hey trust me I don't knock anyone who wants to shoot a cannon, hell it's cool. I just have no need for one and there's nothing in N. America or most of the world short of cape buff and elephants I can't kill stone dead out to a 1,000yds with the 7STW and 300 Rum.

I just really encourage anyone that thinks they want one to find someone that already does who will let them shoot their's before tying up a bunch of money on one.

I've seen so many of the super magnums for sale with less than a hundred rounds through them it's amazing.

Im with ya. they wont know till they try it...one way or another.

I always wanted a .416 Rigby caliber...?/ I guess for the giant Jungle rabbets I have here..????? Then I got a chance to shoot a 375 H&H...ahhh...I dont need that anymore. ( Never did NEED it...just thought it would be nice to HAVE it is all. You know...the first "kid" on the block to have his own elephant gun.... "
Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Good looking rifles and great deals. Nice shooting.

Yep good deals are out there and eventually you can always upgrade when money improves.

My first long range rig was purchased from a member here. $1200 edge built on Savage 110 action. Mounted a $300 Wotac on it and it shot great. Took my first long range elk with it. Now money improved and I mounted a SIII on it but the rifle is a keeper.

Still shoots little groups. Only 100 yrds though. I do need to stretch it out a bit.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought but maybe we can keep this thread alive and on the first page by getting other people to post their own budget LR specials in this same thread.

I'm still doing some work on all three of mine above and as I do more I'll post the "improvments" as we go.