Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

It all came together

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

It all came together

Hey all,

I wanted to send a huge thanks to everyone on this board. It was all of your advice and help that got me to where I am today. To make a long story short I ordered a Savage Long Range Hunter back in April and did not recieve it till June. I had nothing but issues with this gun and sent it back a few times. I also had issues with the way my vortex viper was mounted. Also this was my first year of reloading and it seemed everything was piling up to be a mess for my upcoming bull elk hunt. After atleast 150 rounds down the barrel I found out I had an issue with my scope and the way it was mounted. Vortex gladly replaced my scope and I had a professional mount my scope on the egw rail and burris tactical rings. I was a few weeks away from my hunt and FINNALLY I got a load to shoot out of this gun. I dialed it in for 200 yards and a week before my hunt I went and shot at 800 yards and verified my drop chart. All was good at the range and I was ready for my hunt.

I had this same hunt last year and I had a limit of 500 yards with my rifle last year. Thus, I built this rifle and loads to be able to drop an elk out to 1000 yards. Last year I shot a 300 inch 6x6 and was hoping something very similar this year. Well I was at my hunting spot an hour before light and suddenly 5 hunters showed up 20 minutes later and sit 20 feet from us on top of this ridge. Then 10 minutes later, literally a group of 10 hunters showed up and I was getting very discouraged. An hour into sunlight I had only glassed a few elk and shots were going off like crazy. There literally were atleast 20 gun shots arounds us in the first hour of light. Well a decent bull showed up a about 650 yards and I was contimplating wither I should shot him or not. We could tell he had a broken point and was either a 6x5 or 5x4. He was moving fast so I got a quick range on him, dialed my turret in and then let a shot fly. I took another shot and my spotter (dad) told me to raise my yardage a bit yards because the bull was moving away from us further and further. Well I shot a few more times and the bull was defintely hit and was gushing blood. I shot one more time and the bull droped over dead. As I said there was a crowd with us and they all gave a nice cheer once the bull dropped and hi fives were in order. I learned a few things from this experience. One is that in long range shooting you always need a reliable person working the range finder so all the shooter needs to focus on is shooting the animal. Also, there needs to be one person there just to be a spotter and watch the animal through the binos. This would have made the first few shoots more accurate. I also relaized I did not use my angle compensator feature on my rangefinder which messed up my initial yardages and why I shot atleast 2 feet high on the first few shoots. Also, I was in such a hurry that i only had my scope on 6.5 power and not 20 power. I learned that Ireally need to calm down and takes things slower. I am just happy I didnt have to learn this the hard way. Well anyways here are a few pictures of my bull. It was a great quick hunt and man do I love long range hunting! I dont like the pack out but thats part of the hunt, especially long range hunting.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
It all came together-img952011112595095114.jpg   It all came together-downsized951125011419.jpg  

Old 11-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: It all came together

Outstanding my friend! Looking at him I'd guess he had several years behind him learning to avoid getting killed and you managed to get it done anyhow.

That's one I doubt you'll ever forget.

Congrats.