Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Alberta Whitetail hunt, 7mm Allen Mag results.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Alberta Whitetail hunt, 7mm Allen Mag results.....

i have the 200's with the sierra jackets and hope to have a performance report in the 7-900 range.our season starts tomorrow but i won't be hunting until next week.nice buck,i love the look on those old boy's faces.i'm curious about how you got a license to hunt there?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

Welcome back Kirby and congrats on the hunt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Sponsor

Kirby,

Great buck glad your hunt went well.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats Kirby, and welcome back. Great pictures and post.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby ,

You dog you ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That was a great time for all involved Man what a great whitetail ! I know that there are bigger ones out there , but hey ! this ones yours !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am really happy for you and Richard as
it was a good time for all May the lord of light bless you and yours in the days to come .

Jim Brown

p.s. C'mon Kirby, smile , if I see one more pic of you frowning ( not really frowning but NOT SMILING EITHER ) i AM GOING TO HOLLER [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

We know you're ugly and smiling won't make that better but what the the hey , smile anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Kirby for a great read on your trip to Richards> Glad you had such a great experience .

Jim Brown
Old 11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

GG,

SS7mm hammered his spike elk at 670 yards I believe with a frontal chest shot and the bullet penetrated to the ham I believe with good tissue damage.

The 200 gr ULD RBBT based on the J-4 jacket has a very tight pin point meplat. This feature was intential to give the bullet every chance to withstand the impact stresses created by the 7mm AM and any other large capacity 7mm magnum which the 200 gr ULD will work great in.

As such, the expansion of the bullet is significantly delayed. On my buck, the onside lung was not significantly damaged, but the top of the heart was as was the offside lung as well.

This tells me that basically you have 8" or so before the bullet really begins to expand and transfer serious energy to the vital tissue. This seems to be the case at close range as well as long range from what I am seeing with this meplat design.

I have yet to see how the heavier jacketed 200 gr ULD will perform as far as expansion is concerned. I will be talking with Richard about his thoughts on this very topic.

For game over 400 lbs, I would say leave it the way it is as expansion after 8" of penetration would be about perfect with game of this weight and heavier.

For lighter game, I would imagine a slighly more open meplat may produce more rapid expansion.

I will say that the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs in .277" open up more quickly then do the .257" 156 gr ULD RBBT or the 7mm 200 gr ULD RBBT. This is because the .277" bullet has a much more open meplat then the other two bullets.

The performance of the 156 gr ULD RBBT in my 257 AM this fall on my pronghorn was IDENTICAL to that I witnessed from the 7mm AM on that whitetail.

If you want more rapid expansion I would talk with Richard and see about leaving that meplat opened up more if possible.

Time will tell how this design will perform on soft tissue impacts at long range. I can assure you penetration will not be a problem and from what I have seen so far, expansion is simply delayed after impact, which is not a bad thing at all on big game in my opinion.

One added bonus is the BC is improved with the closed meplat compared to the open tip, still there is plenty to work with in either case [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Nomosendero,

Thank you for the kind words!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com