Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Alberta barbed wire buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Bronze Member

Alberta barbed wire buck

So Saturday was the last day of the season and I had big hopes for a monster mulie but they were fading fast. On my way from one area to another, I spot some deer way out in a coulee and quickly get the spotting scope out to see whats up. I spot a couple of decent bucks following some does into a draw and have to change by game plan to go in for a closer look. After turning the truck around to ask for permission from the land owner(heck of a nice guy BTW), I drove around to some abandoned buildings and headed out after them still unsure if I was wasting my time or not. Working my way around a hill I spot a couple of does then one buck...then another...then this guy. I knew immediately he was the one, while not the biggest buck in the area, he was a trophy for me. With no chance of getting closer due to the bare canola field I settled in and ranged him at 501 meters, the .260AI cracked and the 140 berger did the rest. I not only wish I had someone with me to enjoy the moment, I could have used a hand getting him into the back of the truck! I think he's a pretty cool deer anyway.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Alberta barbed wire buck-2013-muley-buck-031.jpg   Alberta barbed wire buck-2013-muley-buck-036.jpg  

Alberta barbed wire buck-2013-muley-buck-032.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Alberta barbed wire buck

I think he's pretty cool too! I always like the big bodies on the northern deer.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

IVO - AWESOME!

Please get him mounted WITH the barbed wire. Buck of a lifetime.....without a doubt. Congratulations!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acloco View Post
IVO - AWESOME!

Please get him mounted WITH the barbed wire. Buck of a lifetime.....without a doubt. Congratulations!!!!!!
I was just about to say the same thing! If I ever get a buck with some sort of cool thing going on with his rack, id leave whatever it was there for the story! If you remove it, anytime someone comes over they see a sweet buck but thats it...if you leave it...they ask, whats up with the barbed wire...then you get to tell a cool story I know a guy who shot a buck that had an arrow stuck in one of the antlers...he left it there when he got it mounted. The buck itself isnt even that nice, but whenever anyone goes over there, they ask about that buck rather than the other WAY nicer ones on the wall.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

That's excellent!! I love mule deer expecially ones with character. I would say that big boy has some stories to tell.

Congrats on a very nice buck.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Bronze Member

Great buck and let me just say one heck of great shot too!! That boy was dead before he hit the ground.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Nice buck! And I agree with the others, leave the barbed wire in there. Makes for an interesting conversation piece.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.