Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Alaskan weather?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Alaskan weather?????

Does tuck driving brothers count? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tell Walter the Mountain Home, Tx has snow as of 8p.m. They say San Antonio should get a light freeze with sleet for saturday and be back to low 70's by sunday afternoon. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

A ford with a chey engine huh, I figured you to be a DODGE DIESEL MAN!

Its alright I have an 82 Bronco that I bought for my son.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Gold Member

Does tuck driving brothers count? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tell Walter the Mountain Home, Tx has snow as of 8p.m. They say San Antonio should get a light freeze with sleet for saturday and be back to low 70's by sunday afternoon. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

A ford with a chey engine huh, I figured you to be a DODGE DIESEL MAN!

Its alright I have an 82 Bronco that I bought for my son.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

I don't see and Palm Tree sprouts in your pictures so don't throw away your winter cloths just yet!
Old 02-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Texas,

Dodge? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Funny! Naaa they're alright I guess, just has to have the new 500ci in it for me. Fords new smaller Powerstroke is pretty hard to beat if you look at it close. More powa, more betta... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'll tell Walt about the weather there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll look in the regs for the truck drivin brotha clause, they might let ya have two! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave,

Palm trees, that will be just about 5 more years at the rate we're going I figure, I think they've started rooting already but just havn't made it up above the brush yet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Brent,

I dont have a four wheeler, but I spend alot of time out there in my pick up. I dont really hunt out that way but that is where I shoot long range. Past Jim creek that is. I hunt sheep between Lazy mtn and King mtn mostly. I took a small full curl out of there last season. A 7 year old 8/8 on the right and 7/8 on the left. But it was my first full curl so I didnt get picky. At 763 yards he was also my first long range trophy. I have bagged several sheep down in the Wrangells in the any sheep area, now it is ram only, but not full curl. But most the rams get shot long before they reach there potential and the odds at least for me of getting a nice ram are as good or better hunting close to home where rams are always coming into legal harvesting size every year. Is that where you usually shoot long range, at Knik?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot on the Knik bar too. Call me sometime (7452224) and I'll show you my favorite spot.

You'll have to go with me to the glacier and through all the lakes when it freezes back up. I have to rebuild the water pump on one of my Polaris 6x6's and I'll have an extra one you could drive.

I have just been waiting on the weather to cooperate or I'd be out shooting.

Give me a call.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Well here's pics of or fun trip today, that's poor Sam standing on the seat and me on the right loading gear back in my machine after the rotten ice on this beaver pond broke out from under us. Sam fell through first and Eric on the left was in between us and stopped, when I stopped the right side of my machine fell through to the bottom and I was in upto my nuts trying to keep it from rolling upside down! You can see the water line on my tailgate. Eric turned around and drove back by me and fell through at my 8 O'clock. He was luck and didn't take on much water and wasn't trapped with ice all around him either. Once my brother Derrick hooked up his winch cable to my hitch I could let go of the bars and it wouldn't roll over. I was able to bust down the ice under my left side and to my rear then level out the machine, under water of course. Sams rolled on it's side when he got off. We were able to winch him up through the trees on the right where Brenda is standing in the woods. Everyone else was in the woods on the trail where we should have been. Our fearless leader "SAM" is draining his oil and flushing his motor tonight. He had to get towed back. I was lucky and pulled the plug, blow the water out, drained the belt case and wa up and running. No water in the oil for me, although my air filter was soaked and had injested some water. It's time to change the oil anyway. We'll wait till it freezes again. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Barbie started a fire when she saw what was going down, so all 9 of us were able to get warmed up and dryed out best we could, Sam, he got all our spare dry clothes for the trip back. It's always nice to have plenty of help along and really sucks when you don't. Time to hit the trail again...

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]