Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Alaskan weather?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Alaskan weather?????

How do ya like our winter here so far!!! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] 40 some degrees out for damn near a week now, it was 50 for a couple days!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Now you see why I have wheelers and NOT snomachines anymore! It gets more like this every year...

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 02-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Alaskan weather?????

Brent,

If it's any consolation, the weather down here in SE Arizona sucks lately too. The last couple of weeks it's been in the upper 70's to low 80's. This week, mid to low 60's, and this afternoon it rained.

That may not sound bad to you, but my body is adjusted for the Sonoran Desert. I got home a few minutes ago, hung up my coat and replaced it with a heavy sweatshirt. I'm still shivering.

To top it off, the snow level is dropping to 4000', and I'm at 4,200.

This sucks.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Brent,

Are those pix of the Knik area?? Yes this is crazy weather, I have been able to view lots of sheep around Palmer for the last week cause all the snow is gone 1/2 way up the mountains. Spring fever is here in my house, I just hope it doesent get real cold between now and spring.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Too funny...I'd be roastin my ass off if I was there with you!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'd be in just my shorts!!

We've had 2-3 inches on the ground about three times but didn't last long at all each time. The glacier is just up the valley about 25 miles but ironically the south wind comes over the top through there and it's always a warm wind, usually that's why our snow stays pretty low right in this somewhat sheltered spot. Around the corner of that mountain in the bottom pic, the wind comes from the north and it hits the city of Palmer, Wasilla and Anchorage real bad. Over here just a few miles we escape all of that COOOOOOOOOLD north wind completely. It could be blowin 50mph over there and it's dead calm here, thank God for TALL mountains.

Want to barrow a sweater, I don't really need them up here right now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

I took those last night, I'm on Knik about five miles past the bridge and beyond Jim Creek. The first pic is looking back tward Anchorage, the other is looking basically to where Sutton is on the other side of the range there.

We were up by the glacier the other day and the tons of sheep are always down real low right on the other side of Wolf Point, about 100-200ft or so. I'll have to get a pic or two next time I'm up there. Never really have because they're just always there I guess.

You ever come out this way 4-wheeling or hunting Mike? We'll have to hook up some time and do it?

I hope it freezes out again soon, not too cold though, the lakes and stuff have a foot of overflow and melt off on them and it's so nice to get around to places you can't all summer running from one to the other and such on the ice. Alaska really opens up when stuff freezes over for a while. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm waiting for the wind to completely quit so I can shoot some more steel down there without loosin my hat. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 02-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

So Brent with all those sheep running around up there what does a sheep hunt cost?

Talk about crazy weather one day its upper 70's the next 40-50's here.

Been trying to convince my wife that we need to move up that way! As usual when I'm watching something about AK they show all types of weather. So I call her to see all the lush greenery, by the time she gets there to see they are showing icebergs and rivers of ice [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

So I guess I'll never make the last frontier.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Texas,

Here's your chance to show her the real story with these pics! A picture's worth a 1000 words, these ones here might swing her.

Oh and trust me, those nice rams you dream of, they's waaaaaaaaay up there at bino elevation only. Only the ones that are safe come down to be pet!! We cought a few a mile or so out on the river bar once last year and this January as well. Two different areas, one up there where I said they hang out and January they were pretty cloase to where I took these pics from. Highly unusual.

$85-license, $425-Tag fee, here's the hitch, maybe....you need a licensed guide, or a relative with you for sheep, grizz($500) or goat($300).

I'll have to give my buddy Walter who has a place in Texas that he's going to get cold if he goes back now!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] He's always telling me how the weather is nicer down there, and warm too. I couldn't stand the heat. My wife lived down there for a while.