Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Airline travel gun case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Silver Member
I just sow a write up on this in american hunter last night.They tested about 10 brands.They ran over them,dunked them in water,ran a water hose on them for a long time and such,Some of the cheaper one's did rather well.but not all of them passed everytest.
“If you keep doing what you’re doing, you’ll keep getting what you’re getting.”

Unread 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Do you have an outfitter or someone you can accept the package on the other side? BATF allows you to ship it to yourself. This way you can avoid the baggage throwers and lost luggage, and if you send it early enough, you can verify that it has arrived at its destination before you leave.
Unread 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
airlines are much stricter normally and some do not allow ammo out of the original box. better check first.

Unread 08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Silver Member
If you find one that you think in industructable, get one more level above it. I have a friend who recently returned home from an African Safari, only to find his gun cases all but destroyed. According to my friend it appeared as if someone had used a hammer in an attempt to open the case and crushed one end completely. Thankfully his guns were not damaged.

Seems like you almost need to transport your guns in a safe and not just a case.
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Silver Member
I have an SKB two-rifle model that hasn't been anywhere yet except the back of my pickup, but it sure seems tuff and I read great things about it when I was looking. It has TSA locks on it so you don't have to give them a key and it has wheels at one end. When I moved back to western Washington from Las Vegas I packed two rifles, Leica rangefinder, and Leupold spotting scope in it with plenty of space between them.
Bill C
Ignorance is bliss...unless you're aware of it.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Gold Member
Gun Case

The September issue of NRA's American Hunter page 108 has an article where they tested various gun cases using six catagories. The Cabelas "Bullet Proof" three gun came out on top, with the Doskosport Gun Guard second. No suprise the Cabellas was the only aluminum one, the rest were plastic.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Silver Member
Google "Tuff-pak." On a recent hunting trip to So. Africa several of our group used these cases, and they are great. I've used one for several years.

They don't even look like gun cases, and you can pack lots of other stuff in them with the guns.