Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Air density and bullet travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Air density and bullet travel

While this is my first full year of being trained to shoot long range 700-1100 yards, along with reloading, reading the wind, air temps ect. I have a question on air density and sound travel. When I can hear cars for miles away [light air density] my bullets shoot a minute low a 9 hundred yards, when there is no sound travel to be heard I shoot a minute high, this goes against what i've read, doesn't heavy air slow a bullet? This is usually around sundown.
Thanks,Jeff~
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Air density and bullet travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
While this is my first full year of being trained to shoot long range 700-1100 yards, along with reloading, reading the wind, air temps ect. I have a question on air density and sound travel. When I can hear cars for miles away [light air density] my bullets shoot a minute low a 9 hundred yards, when there is no sound travel to be heard I shoot a minute high, this goes against what i've read, doesn't heavy air slow a bullet? This is usually around sundown.
Thanks,Jeff~
At only 100 yards, the air density should have no significant impact. I suspect you have some other problem such as light angle or????.......Rich
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for answering rich. I never mentioned a 100 yards, 700 Yards on up??
Thanks Jeff~
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Thanks for answering rich. I never mentioned a 100 yards, 700 Yards on up??
Thanks Jeff~
Sorry Jeff! I misread your 900 yards as "a hundred yards". Thats what happens when your eyes start to go....Rich
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
When I can hear cars for miles away [light air density]
You have that backwards.
sound is more easily transmitted between particles with strong bonds (tight springs)

Sound travels further and faster through dense materials.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Do you have one of those neat weather station things to actually measure the air density?