Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Africa

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM
PUBLISHER

I'll never forget what it was like! View more images at

LenBackus.com

View more images at

LenBackus.com

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Great Photos Len. I looked at taxidermy work over there and it was terrible.Ihave 2 friends that are great award winning taxidermist.The lungs on the animals are slightly forward more,this is crucial for bowhunting,and there blood clots 10 times as fast as NA game as part of a survival mechanism,the fine sand makes it clot fast also.You will do fine. I arrowed 21 animals over there on one trip, from small Steinbuck to eland
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSMMAD View Post
They were the 225 gr Accubond.
I just read some of your other questions, about mounting and malaria.

If you PH tells you not to worry about Malaria meds, dont get them, some side affects are nasty,you can do with out that.

Mounting your throphys, get them done in your country, oh yeah make sure when they cape the warthog they flesh out the warts!! if they dont your taxidermist will have to use fake ones, you cant tell but, a 10 minute job with a knife would have got my hog to me in a year, it took 4 years and a very pissed off taxidermist and customer, it cost me more than it should.
The end result is superb, good things take time I suppose

Any more qustions more than happy to answer, love talking about it!!!

300WSMMAD
Out of curiosity did you get to recover any of those accubonds or were they complete pass throughs? About the malaria meds that's good to know, according to them we won't be needing them. I suppose the PH is right because he goes to and from Africa all the time. Matter a fact he was in Texas last month. So the cape should come of with warts and all? I'm not quite sure I understand that lol. But at least you got a good mount! Lol
Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I'll never forget what it was like! View more images at

LenBackus.com

View more images at

LenBackus.com

Those are some awesome pictures Len! Wow! What Kind of Camera/Lens do you have if you don't mind me asking? I will be taking my Nikon D3100 and a 55-300mm Lens.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Great Photos Len. I looked at taxidermy work over there and it was terrible.Ihave 2 friends that are great award winning taxidermist.The lungs on the animals are slightly forward more,this is crucial for bowhunting,and there blood clots 10 times as fast as NA game as part of a survival mechanism,the fine sand makes it clot fast also.You will do fine. I arrowed 21 animals over there on one trip, from small Steinbuck to eland

I am tempted to take my bow. The PH said that they have several bow hunting spots and that we can make any arrangements for extra kills while we are there
I'm sure you have to use a heavy bow, arrows, and broadheads right?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
Out of curiosity did you get to recover any of those accubonds or were they complete pass throughs? About the malaria meds that's good to know, according to them we won't be needing them. I suppose the PH is right because he goes to and from Africa all the time. Matter a fact he was in Texas last month. So the cape should come of with warts and all? I'm not quite sure I understand that lol. But at least you got a good mount! Lol
The longer range ones were pass throughs, but still killed them.
The closer ones bullets were recovered, generally under hide on other side, Zebra one was perfect mushroom @ 200 yrds, but it was finished off at about 5 yrds full charge in tight spikey scrub with a 458 Lott,Big Stallion perfect shoulder shot mechanically screwed , double lunged it,frothing blood, the works yeah he wasnt happy!!!
BUT wasnt as scary as bumping into a Momma Rino with new born calf!!!! she was less than impressed!! Thankfully Rinos cant run on ****!(hope you get the joke)

Yeah African animals are tough man!!

If you can get a Baboon and a Blackback jackel (thats one in Lens pics with the Zebra carcass) they make a cool flat skin and the baboon skull are wicked looking with their massive teeth.(just check CITES about bring that into the US first though,I could only bring one into NZ,being a primate)

Yes the warts come off with the cape, they a hard grissle type stuff inside,Males have 4 warts,female 2, they should cut all that stuff out and turn them inside out, bit like a finger on a glove.

300WSMMAD