Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I didn't require any shots, nor did my buddy on recent trips to southern Africa. I would always make sure your tetanus shots are in effect for anywhere. I personally would not get a malaria med if the pro said I didn't need one. Drugs to avoid malaria are very area dependent and they loose their immunity in time. I did take them in the areas I hunted because it was infested with malarial mosquitoes along the rivers we hunted. My second trip required a different drug, Larium, and had side lousy effects. My first trip was a quinine based drug, Methoquine, which was fine. Unfortunately the bug developed an immunity to it by the time my second trip was set. Having said all that, every person has a different view, and you should do what makes you comfortable. The CDC can tell you which drug to use for a particular part of the world.

Oh ok. I friend of mine will be going on a trip next month. They required her to take some meds before, after and during. I heard the side effects are not so pleasant ones. Thanks again
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Hey 7mmRM, You will be amping !!! I went to Namibia five years ago and can relive every hunt like it had just happened, I have all my throphys except my Zebra in my office so I see them every day!!

All advise has been spot on, 7mm Rem Mag would be the choice with Accubonds for me,I used a 338 Win mag, which was more than enough.

The only suggestion I will suggest is to take a Bipod!! I could have used one heaps of times but its doesnt seem to be the done thing in Africa, shoot the animals the way you feel comforable shooting them, sticks have their place in long grass.
I shot 10 animals used sticks once, the rest were prone on rocks,over bags jackets what ever,I just didnt like it, got the animals sure, but would have prefered having my trusty harris there too.

JUST A COUPLE OF PICS TO GET YA FIZZING ABIT MORE

All the best
300WSMMAD
Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSMMAD View Post
Hey 7mmRM, You will be amping !!! I went to Namibia five years ago and can relive every hunt like it had just happened, I have all my throphys except my Zebra in my office so I see them every day!!

All advise has been spot on, 7mm Rem Mag would be the choice with Accubonds for me,I used a 338 Win mag, which was more than enough.

The only suggestion I will suggest is to take a Bipod!! I could have used one heaps of times but its doesnt seem to be the done thing in Africa, shoot the animals the way you feel comforable shooting them, sticks have their place in long grass.
I shot 10 animals used sticks once, the rest were prone on rocks,over bags jackets what ever,I just didnt like it, got the animals sure, but would have prefered having my trusty harris there too.

JUST A COUPLE OF PICS TO GET YA FIZZING ABIT MORE

All the best
300WSMMAD

Sweet Pictures! Man oh Man I'm glad those two are on the list! Lol
Beautiful trophies by the way! The wait is getting harder after every post! Lol Thanks for sharing your experience friend. So what bullets did you shoot out of that .338?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

They were the 225 gr Accubond.
I just read some of your other questions, about mounting and malaria.

If you PH tells you not to worry about Malaria meds, dont get them, some side affects are nasty,you can do with out that.

Mounting your throphys, get them done in your country, oh yeah make sure when they cape the warthog they flesh out the warts!! if they dont your taxidermist will have to use fake ones, you cant tell but, a 10 minute job with a knife would have got my hog to me in a year, it took 4 years and a very pissed off taxidermist and customer, it cost me more than it should.
The end result is superb, good things take time I suppose

Any more qustions more than happy to answer, love talking about it!!!

300WSMMAD
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
PUBLISHER

Half way through my first of 3 photo safaris I decided I would only take pictures over there. Tanzania and Kenya.

View more images at

LenBackus.com

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM
PUBLISHER

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM