Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Africa

The only other advise that I would give pertains to scope choice. Given it is likely that you will shoot standing off sticks, you may have been stalking, perhaps moving quickly, dealing with ranges from 50-300 yards, and partial visibility of the game due to brushy terrain, scope choice/ power setting is important. In this day and age of high power variables , there is a tendency to set too high a power or play with the power setting while hunting. The trophy sized animals are smart and won't stand still for long maybe offering only a few seconds for a shot. I used a fixed 4x for everything, including a heart/ lung shot on a kudu at 300 yards and it worked very well under these varied conditions. A few of my animals gave only a very brief shot. Bouncing crosshairs, and trying to find your trophy in the thicket will lower your chances of success. Practice at a lower power setting and speed. Forget changing magnification during an encounter unless you really have an open shot on an unaware animal. It will pay a big dividend. iMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The only other advise that I would give pertains to scope choice. Given it is likely that you will shoot standing off sticks, you may have been stalking, perhaps moving quickly, dealing with ranges from 50-300 yards, and partial visibility of the game due to brushy terrain, scope choice/ power setting is important. In this day and age of high power variables , there is a tendency to set too high a power or play with the power setting while hunting. The trophy sized animals are smart and won't stand still for long maybe offering only a few seconds for a shot. I used a fixed 4x for everything, including a heart/ lung shot on a kudu at 300 yards and it worked very well under these varied conditions. A few of my animals gave only a very brief shot. Bouncing crosshairs, and trying to find your trophy in the thicket will lower your chances of success. Practice at a lower power setting and speed. Forget changing magnification during an encounter unless you really have an open shot on an unaware animal. It will pay a big dividend. iMHO.

That really makes a whole lot of sense. And your absolutely right I have caught myself moving the magnification settings many times. I will definately practice with a lower setting and try to condition myself not to move it. Thanks for the heads up and all the info. It is a big plus to hear from the ones who have already been there and done that. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
That really makes a whole lot of sense. And your absolutely right I have caught myself moving the magnification settings many times. I will definately practice with a lower setting and try to condition myself not to move it. Thanks for the heads up and all the info. It is a big plus to hear from the ones who have already been there and done that. I really appreciate it.
You are very welcome. Glad to help. When I first went when I was 30 years old there weren't that many people going. It was a lot of learning on the fly. I had saved for 10 years to fulfill my childhood dream. Went alone, met the pro hunter and two trackers, on a puptent safari, camping in the bush out of a couple of mokurus(tree dugouts). It was an adventure and worth every cent. Went back 7 years later.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
Thanks for the quick response. That is so awesome that you have been there twice and have taken all those animals. I used to own a 300wby mag but to date the largest caliber I have is a 300win mag. But my 7mm Rem Mag and 160gr Accubonds are my "go to" weapon of choice. Its really accurate and fun to shoot with the muzzle brake on it as is my 270wsm 140gr Nosler Accubonds with little recoil. I may just take them both and use the 270wsm for the smaller game and the 7mm for the 3 larger thicker skinned and heavy muscled game you mentioned. I'm really excited to get to go with my dad He will be turning 62 in September days before we go. I know It's going to be once in a lifetime experience for me! Thanks for your recommendations.

I've got a question & maybe Grey can help answer this. I've read in many many different publications that a lot of African Guides frown upon & some flat out ban the use of muzzle brakes. I can't say how true that statement is (although it does make sense). You may contact your guide & ensure they don't have a problem with that.

PS- congrats on the African hunt, that is something I have been dreaming about for a LONG time.

If we don't get pics... you're banned for life!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

I believe that the negativity on muzzle brakes is changing due to the popularity of them. If they outright ban them they will let you know in the pre hunt correspondence. My buddy has been there several times with his braked 300 Weatherby and 416 Weatherby. No issues, but he said to bring some extra disposable ear plugs if needed for guide, trackers.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I believe that the negativity on muzzle brakes is changing due to the popularity of them. If they outright ban them they will let you know in the pre hunt correspondence. My buddy has been there several times with his braked 300 Weatherby and 416 Weatherby. No issues, but he said to bring some extra disposable ear plugs if needed for guide, trackers.

Thanks for the Clarification Grey, I can understand both sides of the issue. A 416 Weatherby w/brake sure could ring the bell of a fella not wearing earplugs!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Congrats on the trip. Last year I was in the East Cape. Bushbuck was 307 yards. Cull Impala 373 yards. The rest were under 200 yards. As was suggested spend lots of time on the shooting sticks. I took over a set of Trigger sticks and my sons PH bought them from me w/ his tip $. Just saw a more recent video of my PH and he is now using a set of them.
You may wish to spend a little bit of time on africahunting.com. Another free web site that I'm a member of. They have a segment on before and after the hunt. Lots of good things to know to help your trip go smoothly. I would suggest that you decide beforehand about whether you will have the taxidermy done in Africa or in the US. Pros and cons both ways. Make sure you have the form 4457 on guns Binocs and perhaps expensive cameras and scopes.
On your rifle. Some African countries have a 7mm min caliber restriction. Usually not enforced. Many times the PH will have a min caliber that he will let clients hunt with. Your 7mm will do a great job on all of the animals on your list. I'm sure you will have a great time. Good luck. Bruce