Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Africa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Africa

So I'm going to South Africa in September with my father on a safari hunt. The animals on our list so far are....

1 Kudu
1 Zebra
1 Gemsbok
1 Impala
1 Warthog

My questions to any one who has already been are.....
1.) What is the average range I should expect to take a shot?
2.) For the game that we will be hunting what caliber do you recommend?

Since these animals are not considered dangerous game, I figured that a 270wsm or 7mm Rem mag shooting some bonded bullets would be adequate. But if any one else has experienced Africa already please let me know what you think and what I should expect on the trip.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jay
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Africa

I have been to Botswanna twice years ago and shot the game your going after as well as other species including lion and cape buffalo. The rifles you suggest with heavy bonded bullets should do fine. A friend of mine lives in South Africa and uses a 7mm Mag for all his plains game shooting. Stick with broadside, heart lung shots on the kudu, zebra and gemsbok. They are pretty thick skinned and tough muscled. Shot distance will vary with the terrain but generally the pro hunter will work on 100-200 yard shots. You should expect to be stalking, and shooting from a standing position. They are big on the use of shooting sticks there. Because i was also hunting larger game, I used a 375 H&H for everything on both trips, except for lion on my second trip, where I also brought my 500-450 H&H double rifle. My longest shot was my kudu at 300 yards, my closest were the buffalo and the lion at 20-30 yards. All the other plains game was shot under 200 yards. Africa is an incredible experience! I think you and your father ill enjoy it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have been to Botswanna twice years ago and shot the game your going after as well as other species including lion and cape buffalo. The rifles you suggest with heavy bonded bullets should do fine. A friend of mine lives in South Africa and uses a 7mm Mag for all his plains game shooting. Stick with broadside, heart lung shots on the kudu, zebra and gemsbok. They are pretty thick skinned and tough muscled. Shot distance will vary with the terrain but generally the pro hunter will work on 100-200 yard shots. You should expect to be stalking, and shooting from a standing position. They are big on the use of shooting sticks there. Because i was also hunting larger game, I used a 375 H&H for everything on both trips, except for lion on my second trip, where I also brought my 500-450 H&H double rifle. My longest shot was my kudu at 300 yards, my closest were the buffalo and the lion at 20-30 yards. All the other plains game was shot under 200 yards. Africa is an incredible experience! I think you and your father ill enjoy it.

Thanks for the quick response. That is so awesome that you have been there twice and have taken all those animals. I used to own a 300wby mag but to date the largest caliber I have is a 300win mag. But my 7mm Rem Mag and 160gr Accubonds are my "go to" weapon of choice. Its really accurate and fun to shoot with the muzzle brake on it as is my 270wsm 140gr Nosler Accubonds with little recoil. I may just take them both and use the 270wsm for the smaller game and the 7mm for the 3 larger thicker skinned and heavy muscled game you mentioned. I'm really excited to get to go with my dad He will be turning 62 in September days before we go. I know It's going to be once in a lifetime experience for me! Thanks for your recommendations.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
So I'm going to South Africa in September with my father on a safari hunt. The animals on our list so far are....

1 Kudu
1 Zebra
1 Gemsbok
1 Impala
1 Warthog

My questions to any one who has already been are.....
1.) What is the average range I should expect to take a shot?
2.) For the game that we will be hunting what caliber do you recommend?

Since these animals are not considered dangerous game, I figured that a 270wsm or 7mm Rem mag shooting some bonded bullets would be adequate. But if any one else has experienced Africa already please let me know what you think and what I should expect on the trip.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jay
Most African guides are going to limit your range to 400yds or less and that being the case the 7mm Mag with the 150-180gr bullets should more than get the job done for you. Most shots will likely be in the 100-200yds range.

Bullet wise I'd suggest Hornady Interbond, Scirocco, or Accubonds.

The only really tough animal on the list is the Warthogs and with them no matter what bullet you choose I'd say go for the double shoulder or just below and behind the ear shot to ensure they are dirt dead before the bullet even exits.

I have a very good friend/client in S. Africa and their go to for plains game is the 6.5 Swede.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Most African guides are going to limit your range to 400yds or less and that being the case the 7mm Mag with the 150-180gr bullets should more than get the job done for you. Most shots will likely be in the 100-200yds range.

Bullet wise I'd suggest Hornady Interbond, Scirocco, or Accubonds.

The only really tough animal on the list is the Warthogs and with them no matter what bullet you choose I'd say go for the double shoulder or just below and behind the ear shot to ensure they are dirt dead before the bullet even exits.

I have a very good friend/client in S. Africa and their go to for plains game is the 6.5 Swede.

A 400 yard shot would be sweet if the shot would permit itself especially for a good video. I will be shooting Accubonds out of either of the rifles we take.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRemMag View Post
A 400 yard shot would be sweet if the shot would permit itself especially for a good video. I will be shooting Accubonds out of either of the rifles we take.

Thanks
You should be in fine shape. Keep in mind as mentioned above in all likelihood you'll be shooting standing supported for most of your shots so get out and practice shooting off of shooting sticks.

Based on that practice, set your own realistic range limit and stick to it and you'll have a great experience.

I've got a standing invitation to go to S. Africa and so in a few years I expect I'll get my turn as well.

I'll take two rifles. My Model 70 300WM and one of my 7mm STW's.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You should be in fine shape. Keep in mind as mentioned above in all likelihood you'll be shooting standing supported for most of your shots so get out and practice shooting off of shooting sticks.

Based on that practice, set your own realistic range limit and stick to it and you'll have a great experience.

I've got a standing invitation to go to S. Africa and so in a few years I expect I'll get my turn as well.

I'll take two rifles. My Model 70 300WM and one of my 7mm STW's.
I picked up some nice tripod shooting sticks I took with me to New Mexico last year. I will start using them over the next few weeks to practice as well as get myself on a strict diet to shed a few lbs before we go since we will do that much walking lol. I kind of lucked out on getting to tag along on this one, my dad won the bid on the hunt for a really cheap price. All inclusive except for airfare. It will be both of our first times in Africa so we are counting down the days.

Thanks again