Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

advice on scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM

advice on scope

hi all, I need your advice....

I just purchased a sako finnlight 85 in 6.5x55. I was looking at the zeiss conquest hd5 3x15x42 and then noticed I could purchase the zeiss conquest hd5 5x25x50 for the exact same price....$999.95(both scopes have the locking target turret)

the last place I saw this pricing was at swfa.com

90% of my shots will be under 600 yards, and for the most part under 100 yards.

So, since they are the same price, what is the best value??? am I missing something?

thanks in advance!!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: advice on scope

Weight if that is a consideration.

And Reticles may be different.

I was considering the 3-15 before I pulled the trigger on my VX6. I wanted the Illuminated dot.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Dude, go 5-25x50 and don't look back......

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM

mudrunner and aldon, thanks for the advice.

as for weight, I am not too worried. a few ounces here and there are not going to beat me up. as for the reticle, both are the #20 zplex.

the only other worry I might have is that where I hunt muleys in eastern montana, many times it is like jump shooting rabbits. you could be hiking along a sage stream bottom and right in front of you pops up mister big and takes off for the canadian border! you have to be fast with the gun.

will the 5x25 be too much for this situation? even at the lowest power?

thanks again!!

aaaaaaahhhhhh, nothing like a saturday morning, drinking coffee and the long range hunting forum!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

That's what it's like a lot here in Havre too! Yea I think 5 might cause you a little trouble, but the way muleis are, with moving off then stopping to look at you it might never be an issue. I picked up a V V in 6.5-20X50 and ended up putting it on my 22-250 because I was concerned with close shots.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Gold Member

I would go with the 3x15 for what you are talking about. You get the advantage of 3x for close shots and 15x is plenty of zoom for big game out past 800+ yards.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsbriar View Post
mudrunner and aldon, thanks for the advice.

as for weight, I am not too worried. a few ounces here and there are not going to beat me up. as for the reticle, both are the #20 zplex.

the only other worry I might have is that where I hunt muleys in eastern montana, many times it is like jump shooting rabbits. you could be hiking along a sage stream bottom and right in front of you pops up mister big and takes off for the canadian border! you have to be fast with the gun.

will the 5x25 be too much for this situation? even at the lowest power?

thanks again!!

aaaaaaahhhhhh, nothing like a saturday morning, drinking coffee and the long range hunting forum!
Man, you'll be good from 75+ with the 5-25. Also, the Z-Plex is what my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 is. I love the reticle, but that particular rifle is mostly just for targets for right now, because at the moment I don't have a long-range place to hunt. I have had lots in the past, but haven't in the last couple years. I need to go find me a long-range place to lease where I can shoot from hill to hill @ some whitetails, like I used to be able to years back. When I do get another long range hunting area, I will probably upgrade to a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the MOAR reticle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.