Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Advice on a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Advice on a gun?

I am new to the long range world and have been trying to make up my mind on a new gun. Now, I'm not really looking to get into the real long range target stuff. I am more interested in being able to hunt confidently out to about 500 yards. I'll be hunting mainly whitetails and hogs. The link below is the gun I am looking into buying. Any thoughts or comments? According to the text I am planning on putting a new trigger in it. Any advice would be appreciated

Bushnell/Bausch&Lomb Elite 4000/4200
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Re: Advice on a gun?

sorry pasted the wrong link

its remington 700 SPS Tactical
Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Bronze Member

While I doubt the .308 version capable of hitting at long range, my question is does it have the energy left to humanely take deer? Myself, I've always considered the .308 best at 350 yards and closer. Perhaps I am among the "overkill" crowd but I consider 500 yards a stretch for ANY non magnum rifle cartridge. Just my .002.....
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Gold Member

There are a few things about the rifle that I don't prefer. First is the caliber, I am not a fan of the .308. I know that there are many people that are, I'm just not one of them. The 20" barrel and the stock are the other things. Keep in mind that if this rifle fits what YOU need it for, then it may be the best for YOU.

If I were looking for a rifle with your requirements, I would look at a 700 Sendero SF II chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

The Remington website doesn't have the 700 SPS Tactical listed. Maybe it's a discontinued model.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

I unlike the others feel that with the correct load and bullet, this rifle is very capable to 500yrds with a 165 to 180 class bullet. The ballistics are there, but shot placement is important. The best load that you could use IMHO is the 178 A-max or the 175 SMK, Berger. The A-max by Hornady would be the best option for expansion next to the Berger. You want to be able to push these bullets for that distance somewhere between 2550 and 2650. With that said the 168 A-max would also be a good option.

Let me pick your head a little. Are you sold on .308? Were you looking more at the .223? I'm going to throw a couple of other options at you. 6mm/.243 may be a good option as well. You could find this in most sporter rifles. A tight twist 22-250 would be an option as well as long as you use heavy bullets.

Here is one that maybe you should consider. You can look at several different models and variations but I forget about this caliber and it may just be the ticket. The 7mm-08 with a 140 or heavier bullet just might be the ticket if you are not wanting a magnum. The reason that I chose this one, is the 162grn A-Max or the 168 Berger. You can push these bullets in the 2700fps range and the ballistics on these bullets are phenomenal. They are both high BC bullets providing you with the down range energy you want.

Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FHSS
Howa/Hogue Rifles

As far as magnums are concerned then any of the WSM's or Long action magnums will do it for ya. Just some thoughts.

Sorry to add to the confusion, but just offering suggestions. Again I am a firm believer in the .308 being capable of what you are asking of it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-09-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Just ran the ballistics on the 7mm-08 with a 162 grain A-Max. You can shoot almost 750yrds with enough energy and speed to drop a deer or pig. Sorry, I start looking at things and it sparks curiosity. I just checked and if you want a Remmy then they offer the 7mm-08 in the SPS also.

I also see you are looking to get the 4200 Elite. They are nice scopes. I have used one. The tactical model is really nice, and the 3200 Tactical is equally as nice. The Vortex Viper, Nikon Buckmaster, Monarch, and Sightron might be a consideration as well.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the input. Maybe I should have mentioned that the deer where I live are 170lbs max, so I was shying away from the magnum rounds. Price is also always a consideration.

liltank, I actually have a 7mm-08 in a remington model seven. It's a great gun and i've had it for years, but it just feels to small for me. Any suggestions on how or if I could put longer barrel and stock on it? Would that cost as much as just getting another rifle?