Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Advice on building 300WinMag???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Advice on building 300WinMag???

LilTank & JRW,

Thanks for the input so far. I do like the ease of use with the Savage. It seems very "user friendly." What it boils down to is that even with changing the stock on the Savage, I'd still be ahead money than if I went with the Sendero. I do like the Sendero... a lot. But I think the money I save I could easily be put towards glass & reloading gear. Plus, almost every review I'm reading about the 111LRH 300WM says they are shooting .5 MOA out of the box. I really can't argue with that considering I'm not sure if I as a shooter can even do that consistently.

I think I'm going to buy the Savage, shoot the hell out of it, and maybe in a year or so make some mods.

Any other input? I'm all ears!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I bought a 300 Win Mag Sendaro a few years ago... not a bad rifle and I shot some elk and deer with it at fairly close range. Decided I wanted it to be more accurate beyond 200 yards and had it customized ... hart barrel, jewel trigger, tubs bolt, new scope, etc. It is a great rifle now and I am confident with it at long range... it was a good platform to customize. I killed a red stag and a ram with it this fall and 2 big bucks. I also bought my youngest son a new Savage 300 Win Mag last year and put a Nikon Monarch on it. I have to tell you that his rifle, after I broke it in properly, shot almost as well as my custom Sendaro! And, it cost much less... So, I would recommend that you buy the Savage... they make one heck of a rifle for the money!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdoctor View Post
I bought a 300 Win Mag Sendaro a few years ago... not a bad rifle and I shot some elk and deer with it at fairly close range. Decided I wanted it to be more accurate beyond 200 yards and had it customized ... hart barrel, jewel trigger, tubs bolt, new scope, etc. It is a great rifle now and I am confident with it at long range... it was a good platform to customize. I killed a red stag and a ram with it this fall and 2 big bucks. I also bought my youngest son a new Savage 300 Win Mag last year and put a Nikon Monarch on it. I have to tell you that his rifle, after I broke it in properly, shot almost as well as my custom Sendaro! And, it cost much less... So, I would recommend that you buy the Savage... they make one heck of a rifle for the money!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the honesty. I do really like the Sendero. But I think for the money I'd be saving (around $400), I could easily make some mods to it or use it for other things like glass or reloading. Do either of you have a muzzle brake on yours? Just curious about recoil...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM

I got the 300 win mag because I could use it for both elk and big deer... It does have a pretty good recoil, but I guess I am used to it... not really too much harder than my old 30-06. I have never been a fan of muzzle brakes... they are really loud and I don't think they reduce the recoil that much... but, it is your shoulder! BTW, I bought a Savage 25-06 this winter and just mounted a new 5x20 scope on it... I can hardly wait to get to the range and break it in... I want to use it for antelope this fall in Wyoming! I think you will like the Savage a lot... definitely a best buy for the bucks! (no pun intended)
Old 03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

I picked up a new Savage 112BVSS in 300WM last fall. Seems Savage did a limited production run of 112s. Cost was around $600. Great set up with a 26" fluted barrel. Only put 50 rounds threw it so far but with 180 nosler bts and full dose of RL22 = .5 MOA or less at better then 3100FPS.

Recoil is less with heavier laminate stock and no plan to put a muzzle break on it.

No complaints.

BT

Last edited by 6.5x300; 03-12-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x300 View Post
I picked up a new Savage 112BVSS in 300WM last fall. Seems Savage did a limited production run of 112s. Cost was around $600. Great set up with a 26" fluted barrel. Only put 50 rounds threw it so far but with 180 nosler bts and full dose of RL22 = .5 MOA or less at better then 3100FPS.

No complaints.

BT

Damn. Sounds like it's a nice rig... too bad they didn't keep it around, I, unlike many, am a fan of the fluted barrels. Maybe I'll do some hunting for a used one as my platform for a build.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Big Daddy,

I am not really a muzzle break fan, I just dont like the brain piercing noise if you happen to forget your ear plugs and shoot it. So I choose to have a heavier gun. My sons gun that we finished first weights 14.6# loaded and is chambered in 7mm rm and it is a dream to shoot the recoils feels like a .243 maybe less. The gun that we are working on now is mine that is also chambered in 7mm rm and I am guessing it will weight in at about 15# loaded because I am going with a 2 inch longer barrel and a choate tactical stock which I love. In this long range game I dont concern myself with gun weight because we are not building them to pack for miles. We build them to have a rock solid shooting platform that we can setup on a high spot and test our skills and look for that trophy waaaaayyyyy oooooovvvvvver there. Besides having a heavy gun gives you that much more reason to stay in shape for hunting season.

The good thing is no matter which gun you choose remmy or savage you cant go wrong because they both are shooters. It really comes down to preference, I like to tinker and plan and tinker some more to make things just how I like them and that is why I choose the savage. That is also why I reload for all my guns as well I just like the feeling or being able to shape my own destiny.

Good luck and good shooting, Jason