Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Advice on building 300WinMag???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Advice on building 300WinMag???

I'll keep it short and sweet. I like two different rifles but they both aren't "perfect." So the question is, should I just start from scratch and build the rifle I want, or buy the closest thing to it and just mod it.

For instance, I have narrowed down my choices to either the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 300WM, or the Remington Sendero SF II 300WM.

Here's the pros and cons of the rifles

SAVAGE
PROS: Accustock & Accutrigger, Muzzle Brake, Adjustable Cheekpiece, only $800

CONS: The Accustock is still flexible at the fore end and the barrel is too narrow for my taste
SENDERO
PROS: HS Precision stock is comfortable and ridgid, heavy-fluted barrel, X-Mark Pro trigger

CONS: No Muzzle Brake, high cost $1,150

I can pick up a Stevens LA 300WM for about $299, use the action and swap out everything else for about $600. I'd have the rifle I want (minus a muzzle brake), for about $900. Or, I can pick up the Sendero, and just add a muzzle brake and have no headache.

The truth is, I'm leaning towards the Savage 111 if it's getting good reviews. Despite the barrel and stock issues I have, I could always shoot it out, then swap out the parts I don't like down the road and still be plenty fine. But with the Sendero, I wouldn't have to change anything, except add a muzzle brake when budget allotted for it.

What are all your thoughts??????

Thanks,

T
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Advice on building 300WinMag???

I am a huge savage fan so my vote is the 111. Except if it were me I would just find an older 111 or 110 in the caliber of your choice and shoot the hell out of it as you gather parts to build your own semi custom build with your own two hands. I am working on my 2nd semi custom gun now, in fact I just ordered the barrel about 20 minutes ago for it. If I were you I would shop around and find a good donor gun but dont pay anymore than $250 for it unless it has an accutrigger. You can do what you want but in my book there is no better feeling than shooting bug holes out as far as you want with a gun the that you put most of the work into yourself its very satisfying. Well that is my 2 cents good luck.

Jason
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm on board with the Savage also. I have two Savages. One is the Mod 12 and the other is a MKII 22lr. Both shoot lights out. My Mod12 is highly modified now. I did a work up on it some where around here. I think with the action, B&C Medalist A2, SSS recoil lug, EGW Base, Weaver Rings, Vortex Viper stock, Stockade lift kit and bolt, Harris Bi-pod came out to the $1500 mark. But I spent a little more on the barrel and muzzle break. My barrel was $500 (Custom contour, threaded for break, threaded for action, and chambered) and the new break cost $159 made, timed and installed. I mounted the barrel my self, set the timing of the firing pin and length myself. I can easily change barrels and to what ever caliber I want off this one action. So that is why I prefer the Savage. I can do all the work my self.

There are a lot of guys that do the Stevens builds. They work great for builds. Stockade stocks make some really nice stocks for the long action Savage/Stevens. They shoot just as good, but you will need to do an aftermarket trigger if you want to have a nice trigger group on your rifle.

With the Remington, you may have to do some work to get it where you want. This also holds true for the Savage, but most everything you can do your self with the Savage. Timing and trigger work will need to be done by a gun smith on the Sendero. They get a lot of good reviews here though. I just like being able to spend my money other things than having to pay a smith to do the work. The 111 LRH should be a shooter.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Get the Sendero, add muzzle brake, if you want one, have trigger adjusted to your taste. Then go shoot and have fun. The simple route.
Even in your post you feel going with the Savage route it will be a headache. I'm not knocking Savage's, just like the simple route sometimes.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm a fan of the 112 series Savages. My brother in law just bought a 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag and it's a darling with being all stainless, it has the mid range Accutrigger (1.5-6lbs), heavy fluted barrel and pretty stock. That's EXACTLY what I'd get if I were wanting a 300 Win Mag. It was around $680 shipped, new. Beautiful gun.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

i have a senderos. i like them.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
I'm a fan of the 112 series Savages. My brother in law just bought a 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag and it's a darling with being all stainless, it has the mid range Accutrigger (1.5-6lbs), heavy fluted barrel and pretty stock. That's EXACTLY what I'd get if I were wanting a 300 Win Mag. It was around $680 shipped, new. Beautiful gun.

I don't even show the 112 Series on Savage's website, Only the 12BVSS, and it doesn't come in .300 win mag. Not to mention it MSRP's around $980. Which is more than the 111 that I was looking at.