Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

advantages of different sighting distances.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: advantages of different sighting distances.

yes the holding low on closer shots was what i was getting at. if one is going for a first round hit, wouldn't you first dope, then adjust, then take the shot. if you missed the shot and could see this, then wouldn't that be the correct place for a hold over. if you need a rapid follow up shot, like in hunting, or actually in combat, or in timed comp.
like i said, i'm mostly interested in competition, out past my max (around 400). but my rifles are sighted at 100 (i live in GA ). but for the eventual comp i want to do, and the elk and antelope hunting i plan to do as well, i'm wondering if i should sight out to 200? i know a 100yd zero will do, just require more clicks, but i don't want to have to hold a mile under a 500yd zero if i end up stalking within ears shot of a trophy in the field.
thoughts?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
I read often the mil zeros their 308s at 500 for center mass, then uses the O.T.H.U.T.B. method for longer and closer shots. Thus they are never holding over in air when shooting 1k.
Over the head-under the balls, I haven't heard that in a while. I believe thats the way they did it in vietnam era days. The way our systems are designed at least now-a-days:
M24- zero @ 100, has a BDC turret
M110- zero @ 100, has MOA turret with modified BDC, after initial zero taught to turn BDC to 300 and use TMR reticle for holdovers/hold off
M107- supposed to be zeroed @ 500, hard to do because for the most part they aren't very accurate, try to confirm at 100

Like Wildrose said, you can do what you like but the smart thing to do is what the systems were designed to do that way everybody is on the same page.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Over the head-under the balls, I haven't heard that in a while. I believe thats the way they did it in vietnam era days. The way our systems are designed at least now-a-days:
M24- zero @ 100, has a BDC turret
M110- zero @ 100, has MOA turret with modified BDC, after initial zero taught to turn BDC to 300 and use TMR reticle for holdovers/hold off
M107- supposed to be zeroed @ 500, hard to do because for the most part they aren't very accurate, try to confirm at 100

Like Wildrose said, you can do what you like but the smart thing to do is what the systems were designed to do that way everybody is on the same page.
Shooting has changed so much in the last four decades it's utterly amazing.

Most of the scopes in the Vietnam era were k-4's and k-6's with fine duplex cross hairs and those guys were deadly as hell out to 600yds and farther on a daily basis.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
yes the holding low on closer shots was what i was getting at. if one is going for a first round hit, wouldn't you first dope, then adjust, then take the shot. if you missed the shot and could see this, then wouldn't that be the correct place for a hold over. if you need a rapid follow up shot, like in hunting, or actually in combat, or in timed comp.
like i said, i'm mostly interested in competition, out past my max (around 400). but my rifles are sighted at 100 (i live in GA ). but for the eventual comp i want to do, and the elk and antelope hunting i plan to do as well, i'm wondering if i should sight out to 200? i know a 100yd zero will do, just require more clicks, but i don't want to have to hold a mile under a 500yd zero if i end up stalking within ears shot of a trophy in the field.
thoughts?
The problem is that quite often in the field and in combat you only have a matter of seconds to get your shot off once the target is identified.

There is no time to dope and dial so if you are going to make that first shot count you have to be able to estimate on the fly knowing how to approximate your hold over/under, and windage adjustments at any given range within the ranges you are working.

This is where the art of shooting comes in vs slow, deliberate, precision shooting.

This is why I set my zero at what some would consider odd ranges and prefer to use a mildot or tactical milling scope vs other reticles. I really like the zeiss rapid z reticles as well for the same reasons.

Last edited by WildRose; 08-22-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Shooting has changed so much in the last four decades it's utterly amazing.

Most of the scopes in the Vietnam era were k-4's and k-6's with fine duplex cross hairs and those guys were deadly as hell out to 600yds and farther on a daily basis.
Yep by today's standards the rifles/scopes snipers of years ago used (very effectively) are considered "cheap". You would probaly get laughed at if you were to show up at a tactical comp with a plain hunting rifle and $100 Redfield with duplex. But then again that's what them old fellas were doing...hunting!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Yep by today's standards the rifles/scopes snipers of years ago used (very effectively) are considered "cheap". You would probaly get laughed at if you were to show up at a tactical comp with a plain hunting rifle and $100 Redfield with duplex. But then again that's what them old fellas were doing...hunting!
I started wiht an 03-A3 and a K-6.. .

Some M-40's and M-24's in between along with a couple of custom models including the Barrett 50.

Last I carried was the forerunner to the M-110 with What became the MK 4 stright 16x Leupold with an etched mil dot reticle.

Probably the one I enjoyed the most was a Model 700 chambered in 300 Norma Mag with the same scope.

Grape Fruits at 1000yds were no problem at all. Of course we had some of the best long range rifle builders in the world at the time working for us.

When things got really ugly though there was nothing as nice as the M-14/110. You could put a lot of hurt down range very quickly, and extremely accurately with it in multiple target engagement scenarios.