Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

advantages of different sighting distances.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

advantages of different sighting distances.

i was in my shop earlier on this week and talking to an ex-scout about thousand yard comp. he's the only person within driving distance that i kno who shoots that far. anyway, he said that he has his 308 sighted in for 200 and always leaves his scope on 12x power. however on demigodllc.com, they all shoot practical 1000 comp and reccomend a 100yrd zero. i cant remember why and i am too lazy to search it out right now. but can anyone tell me the advantages of a longer zero?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: advantages of different sighting distances.

Only advantage I would see would be shooting at a critter @ 300yd without holding over. All of my LR rigs are sighted in at 100, it is easy to remember. I will probably rarely if ever "jump shoot" anything the way I hunt now
Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

One other small advantage to a longer zero is that you will have less turning to do to dial up to your target range.

But I think the biggest advantage is the longer "point-blank" range that you can shoot without having to hold above your target if you get a 300 or so yard shot while on your way to your long range hide out.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

I read often the mil zeros their 308s at 500 for center mass, then uses the O.T.H.U.T.B. method for longer and closer shots. Thus they are never holding over in air when shooting 1k.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
i was in my shop earlier on this week and talking to an ex-scout about thousand yard comp. he's the only person within driving distance that i kno who shoots that far. anyway, he said that he has his 308 sighted in for 200 and always leaves his scope on 12x power. however on demigodllc.com, they all shoot practical 1000 comp and reccomend a 100yrd zero. i cant remember why and i am too lazy to search it out right now. but can anyone tell me the advantages of a longer zero?
If most of your shooting is going to be done on the range and at set distances where you dope and dial all your shots there's not much reason to set your sight in at more than 200yds.

For myself most of my shooting is done on the fly normally at ranges between 300-750yds, for my long range rigs, and 200-600 with my .204 so I set my scopes for a dead zero of 450yds, and just adjust my hold accordingly.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
I read often the mil zeros their 308s at 500 for center mass, then uses the O.T.H.U.T.B. method for longer and closer shots. Thus they are never holding over in air when shooting 1k.
One of the advantages of a mildot or milrad scope is that you can set your hundred yard zero at the top mark and then through practice know your range/dot/hash relationships and have all the holdover necessary.

You do what they teach you in sniper school to graduate then you do what works best for you in the field once you have some experience.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrowning View Post
One other small advantage to a longer zero is that you will have less turning to do to dial up to your target range.

But I think the biggest advantage is the longer "point-blank" range that you can shoot without having to hold above your target if you get a 300 or so yard shot while on your way to your long range hide out.
Yep, it takes some experience though to remember to hold low on the closer shots but it works very well with practice.