Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ADL action question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

ADL action question

I have the long range fever and am looking at building on the 700 ADL action. What factory action/chambering will work for say the 270 AM?

Last edited by aitch; 09-29-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Any long action .

It will need to be a magnum bolt-face or a standard can be machined -opened up to a magnum.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Bronze Member

That's just what I needed. I thought the 7 Mag would work but needed confirmation before I lay out the $.
Not sure where I'll wind up with this project but think the 700 ADL is a pretty good platform to build on.

Thank you.

Aitch
Old 09-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

The ADL is a great action to build on -i have one myself and have to say i prefer it over my two bdl's.

The 7mm mag will go a long way as a longrange rifle.It's easily capable of 1ooo yd shooting.

As far as jumping into the game -i can tell you from expierence -it takes alot of equipment to do it well.
What i'm getting at is you might start out with a LR scope ,laser rangefinder , quality stock and handloading equipment -then you'd have a solid 800 yard set-up>[providing the rifle shoots like "most" remingtons].

Although maybe you can just jump right in and get it all at once -if so good for you.

Also welcome to LRH --Mike
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Aitch

talk to the smith building it. If it has to be opened up (bolt face) or you are ging to use a Sako extractor, most like a smaller bolt face. It's easier to cut out material and open it then to fill / add.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitch View Post
I have the long range fever and am looking at building on the 700 ADL action. What factory action/chambering will work for say the 270 AM?
I have a 270 AM built on an older Rem 721 action. Pretty much the same as the ADL. The biggest difference between ADL and BDL is the stock which is possibly/maybe/more than likely stiffer.

To make mine possibly/maybe/more than likely even more stiffer I glued in an aluminum action bottom and made it a single shot. Now I'm not bothered by magazine length restrictions.

My opinion is that the sako type extractor is the only way to go. I've pulled way too many rims off when pushing a 270 Win a little too hard. Pushing these extreme (APS) cartridges is just flat unnecessary.

I'd recommending making the jump. I sure has been fun for me. It's pretty nifty being in a situation where the limiting conditions are the shooter experience, wind and LRF instead of the Rifle.;)
Old 09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

Mike, good council and I appreciate it. Tho I'm new to the list, I'm not exactly new to shooting. I've been hunting for 50 years and reloading for over twenty years and have an old model 70 in 06 that is one of those guns that comes along that just always places the bullet where you point (I did put it in a HS Precision stock). Good for confidence and I don't hesitate to take a 350 yard shot.
That said, I know to shoot 1k takes a bit more than a quality gun and a pet load.
I'm looking at scopes and range finders now. I'm used to Leupolds, Burris and old Weavers but have nothing with "target" knobs.
Am looking at the Bushnell Elite and SWFA Super Sniper as entry level optics. Have not settled on a range finder but am looking. Suggestions welcome.
Roy & Rim, good information on the Sako extractor. I understand that this is a popular option but didn't know why.
No question, I'm a newby when it comes to long range shooting and will count on the expertise of the members of this list.

Thank to all and I welcome all suggestins and comments.

Aitch