Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Adjusting scope for range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2005, 09:49 AM

Re: Adjusting scope for range

Yeah...I despise them damn Leupold scopes! Been shootin 'em all of 50+ years and can't see crap wif 'em! Been thinkin bout replacing the 21 of 'em I've got but my banker just don't think kindly bout loanin me $30,000,00 to replace 'em with those OTHER scopes whut see so good! He told me when it gits to where I can't see past 500 yards real late...ta just come on to the house cause the cornbread be a gittin cold! Damn...reckon I'm jist gonna havta start killin 'em in the middle of the day....while I kin still see goodenuff!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 AM

Timberman

Whut ya needs to do is send that scope on ta me fer bout half price cause ya done tole me ya can't see nuthin wif it so I'll be real kindly ta please ya ta jist take it offen ya hands!! Bout $175.00 be all it's wurth anyway!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 AM

It's a good scope, just isn't what I need on this rifle. You have to turn it down so low to gather enough light that you can't see the deer. Glad you like yours, I'm going to try something else on this gun this year. If the zeiss doesn't work out right I'll try a nightforce, I guess.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

It'll work fine. In the end, what difference does it really make what the click values are? The ballistics program gets you just as close either way, you shoot at the distances and verify the number of clicks. What difference does it make if that's 15 1/4 MOA clicks or 11 1/10 MIL clicks?

Actually with a Mil dot reticle, I'd prefer the 1/10 MIL clicks so I could forget about MOA all together. It's really a tomAto, tomOto thing as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Timberman, regardless of whether u have reticle 80 or 88, as far as i can see neither would provide any tactical application since the subtensions r too big at 140cm/100m post tip to post tip. Oh well looks like it's clicking or nothing. Windage would work to some degeree by knowing the dimensions of your target, and referencing wind on the target itself.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 AM

I appreciate you checking on that for me. I'm not really hoping to make this rifle into a LR rig like some of you all shoot, but I would like to be able to kill deer out to maybe 500 yards max, and routinely at 400. The leupold I had on it before was great, but every year I'd see these big deer in the last couple minutes of legal light and couldn't shoot, but could see them clearly in the little binos. That will frustrate you terribly. I'm sure this rig will do what I need it to do, I'll mess with it and compare actual shooting to the range card. Tomorrow is our rifle opener, we'll see what happens.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

I know they are not to popular on this board, but I love my three Horus Visions. No clicking. just like reading a road map. I know they are intimidating at first, But after three years of shooting them I am out of the clicking business.