Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Adjusting Drop chart to real World Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 09:53 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Adjusting Drop chart to real World Results

Ballistic Program Inaccuracies

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Scott,

You never did say how far off your drops were.

This past summer, I discovered something about my Shooter program on my DROID that had me pulling my hair. I won't go into details but it had to do with station barometric pressure vs standard pressure for a known altitude. Put me 2 MOA off. I started to play the numbers with the BC or velocity and it just didn't jive. That's when I went back to my input values and discovered "my" GIGO mistake; Garbage In, Garbage out!

Alan
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

I believe that it is quite common to have to make corrections for a particular rifle load combo when working with standard ballistic programs. I have had good success with the calculator on the Best of the West site. I am sure there are other programs that do this, but the program provides for the correction of the actual impact points at long range and then enables you to determine a very precise ballistics chart. It then will provide an output that show either a "true velocity", or a "true ballistic coefficient". You can choose which one. My personal approach is to get the true ballistic coefficient since I am pretty confident in my velocity readings that I confirm on multiple set ups. I can then plug my true ballistic coefficient into my I phone FTE calculator which then will coincide and produce the same ballistic info, or use the data to make a ballistic turret.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
Scott,

You never did say how far off your drops were.

This past summer, I discovered something about my Shooter program on my DROID that had me pulling my hair. I won't go into details but it had to do with station barometric pressure vs standard pressure for a known altitude. Put me 2 MOA off. I started to play the numbers with the BC or velocity and it just didn't jive. That's when I went back to my input values and discovered "my" GIGO mistake; Garbage In, Garbage out!

Alan
I'm off by about .5 moa.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
I'm off by about .5 moa.
Scott,

Could that be as simple a fix as adjusting your zero .5 moa?

Alan