Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Adjusting Drop chart to real World Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Adjusting Drop chart to real World Results

My ballistics software doesn't exactly follow the same amount of drop as I'm seeing when shooting in the field. I'm shooting 168gr SMKs at 2750 fps. I've only shot out to 500 yards and the MOA table is off, what's the best way to adjust the software to show my field results?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Adjusting Drop chart to real World Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
My ballistics software doesn't exactly follow the same amount of drop as I'm seeing when shooting in the field. I'm shooting 168gr SMKs at 2750 fps. I've only shot out to 500 yards and the MOA table is off, what's the best way to adjust the software to show my field results?
Adjusting the BC and/or MV ususally solves it.

There's a couple of other threads on the same subject from the last week or so, so you might be best served by scrolling down and reading them.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Question for you. Do the environmental paramaters (temp, alt, baro...ect...) on the computer program you used match your "real world" shooting weather? That can be a biggy, depending on when/where you did your shooting.

If they are the same, or close, then what Wildrose said......MV or BC...sometimes a little of each. Sometimes I mess with the altitude, also.

The further out you can actually shoot, the eiser it is to tell the difference and the better you can tweak the numbers to match real world.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Question for you. Do the environmental paramaters (temp, alt, baro...ect...) on the computer program you used match your "real world" shooting weather? That can be a biggy, depending on when/where you did your shooting.

If they are the same, or close, then what Wildrose said......MV or BC...sometimes a little of each. Sometimes I mess with the altitude, also.

The further out you can actually shoot, the eiser it is to tell the difference and the better you can tweak the numbers to match real world.
Yeah the environmental data is good, so if I have the 500 yard MOA adjustment of 10.5 and I set the software to reflect that will all the ranges under that be accurate with the software?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
Yeah the environmental data is good, so if I have the 500 yard MOA adjustment of 10.5 and I set the software to reflect that will all the ranges under that be accurate with the software?
Not necessarily. There are too many variables which no ballistics program on the market can control or solve for.

Once you have two or three ranges recorded data matching what your program spits out, you should however be close enough for hunting purposes.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

I also found most software to be off alittle form what real shooting told me
What I do is use the software to get me real close then I record my actual numbers in excell and create my own drop charts to number I have verified by shooting
Most software is real close
retiredcpo
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Have you checked you scope to verify it actually moves 1 moa when you dial 1 moa? The adjustments on scopes (even good ones) are not always exactly on.

You did not mention if you have a chronograph or if you are using data book velocities?? How many shots are you taking your average from if you are using a chrono?

Make sure you have your "sight height" set accurately. Do not guess, measure it.

Use Brian Litz G7 BC rather than the G1 BC if your program supports it.

I used to always struggle getting my programs to match up with the real world. I have since learned to make sure I have ALL the data in my program correct, no guesswork on environmental conditions and other parameters. Now my ballistic program ("Shooter" for android on my phone) is usually dead on or very close. If you are certain you have everything else right, as others have said you can play around with the BC and MV to get your results match as close as possible.

How much are your actual results off from your range results? Are you shooting groups and averaging the group or just one or two shots at each range?