Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Action torque specs for two guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action torque specs for two guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I have found a good starting torque is 40 in/lb front and 35 in/lb rear for unbedded or bedded without pillars. Some rifles will tighten up groups with a bit more torque others show no change. The beauty of torquing to a value is if you should remove the stock you can get back to where it shot best.

As long as you have a torque wrench, Leupold recommends torquing the scope caps at 22 in/lb. It is really easy to surpass this without much effort causing damage to the scope. On some Leupolds overtorquing it will interfere with the adjustments. Just saying....
In my younger days I twisted off a lot of scope ring screws.

Once I got a torque wrench I torque all ring screws to 16in/lbs. No scope movement, not broken screws.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Big, if your rifles are straight from the factory it is unlikely they have any bedding of any kind. You did not mention the material the stocks are made of which would dictate the amount of torque needed. Since you are going to re-torque them just pull the screws and the action out and take a look inside the stock for bedding. Also a dab of blue Locktite on all the screws will help them from loosening. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosh View Post
Big, if your rifles are straight from the factory it is unlikely they have any bedding of any kind. You did not mention the material the stocks are made of which would dictate the amount of torque needed. Since you are going to re-torque them just pull the screws and the action out and take a look inside the stock for bedding. Also a dab of blue Locktite on all the screws will help them from loosening. Good luck.
I know that BOTH rifles come bedded from the factory as both are stated as such. I just dont know what type of bedding they have. Both have free-floated barrels. I have read that the x-bolt has poor-mediocre bedding at best but appearently the remington 700 mountain ss with the bell and carlson synthetic stock has some really nice aluminum bedding or something. I just dont know if either are pillar bedded or not...I am going on a hunting trip very soon "oct. 27th" with the remington 700 and it is currently shooting 3/4 inch groups so I am not going to mess with it as my farthest shots this trip will be sub 200 yards, but once I start reloading and tuning my rifles I want to better understand rifle bedding and action screw torques and such. I definitely need to work on the browning as to adjust that trigger I had to take out the bedding screws and when I called browning about torque specs I got two different answer both seemed high for a wood stock that most likely does not have pillar bedding...65 and 55 inch pounds.