Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: F/TR Action
Remington 700 25 53.19%
Savage Target 22 46.81%
Voters: 47. This poll is closed

Action: Savage or Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Action: Savage or Remington

I thinking about getting a F/TR gun built. Which action should I go with, I already have a Hevy Palma Bartlein to put on one of them. I have a 308 Remington that is my favorite hunting rifle that I would have trued up if I go the Remington route or my co-worker has a Savage F/Tr target rifle that I can buy for a reasonable price and have the Bartlein hung on it. I have a Jewel on hand for the Remington and a Rifle Basix target trigger for the Savage.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Action: Savage or Remington

700 all the way.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

The savage target action I think is the better way to go. You would have to put more money into a rem 700 to make it shoot as good as the savage out of the box, action wise. I have two of the target actions and had nothing done to them other then take them out of the box screw on a barrel and what not and they just plain old shoot. The only way to do that with a 700 is to spend thousands of dollars on a custom action. The target accutrigger is a fine trigger and wouldn't need to be replaced unless you want too. I just built a 6.5x47 Lapua for my wife that will shoot in the .2's all day long. In the end which ever way you choose to go you will be ok. It will be just a matter of how much you want to spend to get there. If you go savage you will have more money to put towards better glass and still have your favorite deer rifle to use. You will not want to be lugging a 17# rifle around deer hunting for very long.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

I guess I should also add this. I have a friend that is a gunsmith, so I will not be charged for the truing or chambering of either action (really nice guy). My real concern/question is: Is the target action stiffer and have bigger tennon to support a 7lb barrel floated to the lug resulting in a more accurate platform?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

The savage is going to be a lot stiffer then the rem 700. The savage is solid oall the way around except the ejection port. The 700 as you know is open on the top. I have a 338 lapua with a 32" heavy barrel and break on it that is free floated to the recoil lug and shoots lights out. The smith that built it didn't use the barrel nut and headspaced it off of the recoil lug.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Stock VS Stock
I take the Savage all day!

Customized
I take the Remington all day!

if stiffness is a consern then stick a one piece steel base on the remington, A blue printed remington at worst is equal to the savage target action (I feel it's a little better)
But the JEWEL is the winner so go remington.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Build on the one that is built for accuracy from day one, only one of the two don't need major over hauling to bring it up to it's potential, rock the Savage

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"