Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Action Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Action Question

Ok here's the deal, As you may guess i am new to the long range hunting thing, although its something that has interested me for years now. I have struggled with what bullet i wanted for a while but I think I will settle for a 280. I hunt primarily in Tx. but would like to be able to hunt bigger game up North if I can ever get time and money on my side. I plan on starting my first build soon and I have a few questions.
What action should I choose? (Leaning towards Remmington)
Is there a certain model thats better than the rest and why?
Is there any reason why I should stay with a 3006 which was my first choice a year or so ago?
Any insight I can get from yall would be much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattie buk View Post
Ok here's the deal, As you may guess i am new to the long range hunting thing, although its something that has interested me for years now. I have struggled with what bullet i wanted for a while but I think I will settle for a 280. I hunt primarily in Tx. but would like to be able to hunt bigger game up North if I can ever get time and money on my side. I plan on starting my first build soon and I have a few questions.
What action should I choose? (Leaning towards Remmington)
Is there a certain model thats better than the rest and why?
Is there any reason why I should stay with a 3006 which was my first choice a year or so ago?
Any insight I can get from yall would be much appreciated.
The 700 Remington action is the easiest to find and has after market parts for everything.

With good smithing they are great performers.

The 280 is also a great cartridge for deer and elk at extended ranges with a very good selection
of bullets for the re loader and good factory loads also.

Recoil is a little less than the 30/06 but the performance is better in most cases except for
the larger bullets (The largest bullets for the 280 will be from 180 to 200 grains and the 30/06
can shoot 240 grain bullets.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

I am going to push you toward the Savage and Howa actions. Howa's 1500 action is used in S&W Rifles and Weatherby Vanguard. It is a Japanese version of a Mauser but is very rugged. Both actions can be fitted with after market triggers.

The Savage is nice because of the accu-trigger that can be adjusted by you. It is also convenient that you can make it a switch barrel rifle to bounce between calibers should that be something that you think you might like to do. They offer their actions as a separate item and you don't have to purchase a barrel w/ the action or a full rifle.

You have a choice of two repeating actions and 3 different target configurations. I will caution that the target actions are single shot and short actions, but they will feed casings as big as the 338 Lapua. I've shot one. They eject empties nicely and should you need to pull a loaded round you just pull the bolt which is no big deal really. There are aftermarket stocks for both, I believe the Howa is a little easier to find, but there are stocks available for the Savages when you really start looking. I have a Bell and Carlson for my Savage action. It's a very nice stock.

As far as caliber, 280 or the improved version are very nice. Like J E said there are some nice bullets out there. 30-06 was the king of long range for many years so don't count it out. To make it a feasible long range caliber you will want to stay with 180 grain bullets and up for good ballistics.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

lil tank- is a "sako" a finnish version of a mauser action?? what about a tikka? is it a finnish version of a mauser action? is a weatherby mkv a california version of a mauser action?? answer to original thread is - you can't go wrong with a remington 700 action. 30-06 has lapua brass available. either the 30-06 or the 280 are fine cartridges. roninflag.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
lil tank- is a "sako" a finnish version of a mauser action?? what about a tikka? is it a finnish version of a mauser action? is a weatherby mkv a california version of a mauser action?? answer to original thread is - you can't go wrong with a remington 700 action. 30-06 has lapua brass available. either the 30-06 or the 280 are fine cartridges. roninflag.
Sure if you want to play that game! However the MKV is its own design. It is not a Mauser reproduction. Sako has their own design, and CZ has its own design. Howa is almost an exact replica of the Mauser 98. I am just not a Remmy fan and therefore put up the Howa and its pedigree, plus the Savage as my choice of action.

Question by OP: "What action should I choose? (Leaning towards Remmington) Is there a certain model thats better than the rest and why?"

I think I covered that ground in my answer!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I beleive that JE and Tank are both right.

Remington 700 is probably the most popular action for customizing and Savage is probably the easiest to do without using a gunsmith.

There are some very suitable/accurate/affordable production rifles available.

Remington Sendero and Savage Long Range Hunter are just 2 examples. Either of these will make a fine long range rifle out of the box and can be customized along the way.

Don't forget to add up the cost of all of your components for a long range hunting system e.g. rifle, base, mounts, scope, range finder, bipod, anemometor, backpack, etc...

Don't underestimate the value of a good scope and range finder.

Good Luck and have fun!!
Richard
Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM

I appreciate the feedback that I got back from you guys. Rscott2850 had said something about being able to build off of a savage action without needing a smithing work done.
I am sure that during my build I will use a gunsmith, but can yall explain in a little more detail why a remm would require more smith worh and why a savage would not?