Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Action blueprinting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Action blueprinting??

The biggest problem I see with hand tools is that it's easy to see a shiny surface. But, it's a lot harder to measure how true and concentric to the boreline you're really making everything.

Like Eddybo indicated, we probably overthink a lot of this. But, there are some things you can control before you squeeze the trigger and some things you can't. I don't know Don Geraci who Eddybo refers to. But, he may have enough experience and expertise to do a better job with hand tools than I could do with a lathe.

Provided you headspace correctly, etc... rebarreling and bedding alone may well get you a significant improvement over an old rifle with the original factory barrel. ...although a good 243 might outlive a lot of us.

If you can accept responsibility for the results, then get after it.

Otherwise, get it done by a smith with a lathe and a good track record.

Good luck!
Richard
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Richard,

Don Geraci is a BR shooter and gun smith. Look at the NBRSA web site you will find him there, look for hall of fame. I think he set a mid range prone senior f-class record last year, but cannot atttest to that. I can attest that a bunch of certified BR world records hang in his shop and home, most have now been bested. I think he has a whole bunch of current ARG rimfire world records also. Most of his CF BR records were shot with a very worn out remington 700.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

It's all relative.

He could probably blueprint an abused rifle with 320 grit sand paper and still out shoot me. ;-)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Nah he is too old to shoot good

He shot a .4ish inch 600 yard 3 shot group last time he came to my range. Groups like that are anomalies, but some people have a knack of getting lucky more often than the rest of us.
I can tell you this, if you are a prarie dog within 1k yards of him you better hope he does not see where his first shot impacts. He is a master at correcting for his second shot....it is freakish how good he is.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

with all the clones out there its getting to the point that putting in all the blueprinting work on a remington is about like building up a military mauser. I don't see myself as ever building anymore customs on factory rems.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
with all the clones out there its getting to the point that putting in all the blueprinting work on a remington is about like building up a military mauser. I don't see myself as ever building anymore customs on factory rems.
When resale is considered that is probably the best info in this thread.