Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ACI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

ACI?

Do you guys think there is any need for an aci on the rifle if your rangefinder tells you the angle?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ACI?

I'd say no, it really doesn't matter how you get the angle, as long as you get it. You will have your range finder out anytime the distance is long enough to need the angle anyway.

Just my opinion,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

IMHO yes.

RF's can fail and batteries die at the worst times. With a good reticle and ACI you can find the range AND the angle and do the math the long way from a reliable drop chart as a back up plan.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, I almost posted the same thing. However, judging using a reticle (especially out away from suburbia) is not something that is super simple. It requires a bunch of practice to get good enough to use for high percentage one shot hits on animals. If I was out and needed to make a shot on an animal at long range (600yds +) without my range finder, I'd make a guess and take a shot on the hillside to verify my range. I'd then mark my shot with my reticle and use my first impact and aimpoint to determine the correction needed. In this case, the angle has no use, except for the first shot.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

It seems like the masses have a hard time using scopes to range critters. I personally have not had much trouble getting within 25 yards out to 750 on sheep. No I have never shot one by way of reticle ranging, but just practicing and verifying with a laser. IMHO, it is much better than just guessing. Maybe it is a gift, I just havent had any trouble with it. Still, the more things you can lean on in times of equipment failure, the better. Mechanics ussually work when electronics fail.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, by make a guess, I meant I'd range with my reticle. I've ranged deer and elk with my reticle and I haven't had that much success. Maybe the deer and elk I've ranged vary too much in size?

AJ