Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Accurizing the Factory Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Accurizing the Factory Rifle

Subject: Rem 700 CDL .30-06 w/ Leupold 3-9 x 40 Rifleman

I've been hunting a while now, but just getting interested in LR hunting. My goal is to be confident enough to kill anything I want out to 500 yards (deer, coyote, targets,) so lets say a 5 inch circle at 500 yards, 1/2 MOA. (PS the set-up shoots a little over 1 MOA @ 100 yards currently, the rifle probably has fewer than 100 rounds through it, and I am currently doing a break-in on the barrel shoot, clean, shoot clean...better late than never, it copper fouls bad!)

Here's the kicker.... The wife probably won't let me spring for a LR specific set-up, so my current rifle will have to do. I'd like to know what I should do in order of INCREASING COST, and DECREASING EFFECTIVINESS for my accuracy. For example, lightening my trigger will probably be #1 as it has a really heavy pull. It will be cheap, and probably help my grouping signifigantly. I think #2 would be to float the barrel. Both of these will either be cheap or free if I feel confident enough to tackle them, and will probably help my accuracy.

I know that an adjustable turret scope or one with hold-over recticle will be necessary, but for right now let's stick with gunsmithing-type work.

I will soon start hand-loading, and I know I know that will help... until then, best bang for the buck ammo?? I'm thinking Black Hills Gold. I currently am shooting Remington 150 gr, Accutip Boattail BC of .4 I think....

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

bonus points for a good gunsmith in the KC area...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accurizing the Factory Rifle

Boozer - easy....

1. Trigger Job ~$60

2. Glass and Pillar Bedding Action (this will include freefloating your barrel)~$150 This step also assume you have a stock that is worth bedding.

3. Recrown Barrel ~$50

These prices are if you do the jobs separately. Many smiths will do the all three as a package for $200

Optics is an entirely different conversation.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post

you have a stock that is worth bedding.

3. Recrown Barrel ~$50
The rifle is completely unaltered... I believe that it has a walnut stock from the factory...is that worth bedding? or do I need to upgrade to a plastic/fiberglass type stock, then bed?

My crown looks to be in good shape, is this necessary? is this something that isn't held to a tight enough tolerance at the factory?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'd agree with 280 on the above.

Good smith in the KC area would be Chris Matthews of LongShot Rifles.

Chris
Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Use the wood stock that you have and pillar bed w/ Devcon steel putty.

After Shot Show2010 I would look into a Vortex Viper PST scope. Will be a great scope at a very great price for LR shooting and in your price range.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

You are correct, #1 adjust the trigger (I did my own cost $0), and #2 bed (again, cheap to DIY and there is plenty of instruction on the internet).

Reloading is the next biggie. Telling you the best factory ammo is a crap shoot, I have seen guns shoot cheap ammo very well but hate premium ammo. With reloading you can optimized and overall this is usually the biggest factor in maxing out accuracy.

For LRH, the scope is next. With a 30-06 and a goal of 500 yds a 1" tube scope will save you some money. The Nikon Buckmaster is $300 or a bit under and would work very well for you. Leave the turret caps off and you have low profile target turrets underneath.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

+1 with 280fan. I would use the existing stock and also consider blueprinting the action along with trigger, bedding, recrowning and see what all 4 in a package deal would cost...IMHO cheaper in the long run and will save probably on alot of testing/ammo $ at the range. Keep in mind 1 moa at 500 yards is approx 5" which is good for the game you want to take. IMHO 1/2" moa really isn't necessary but it will cost$'s

Last edited by Chas1; 01-08-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: no email notification