Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

accurcy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

accurcy?

witch one do yall think tends to be more accurate? a 270 or a 30-06?
and what would be the effective range of killin a deer?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: accurcy?

Accuracy goes to the shooter, and quality of the equipment used, not nessicarily caliber in this case. As far as Bullets are concerned, the 30 cal gives alot more bullet wt's to choose from. The .270win, and the 30-06sprg are based off of the same case, one is necked down to .277 the other is .308(as you may already know), so with same wt bullets, ie; 100gr -150gr the 270 shoots a bit flatter to a given yardage with most factory ammo in the same wt. However, the 30-06 can effectively shoot a 165-180gr and even up to a 220gr where as the .270 stops (with most factory stuff) at 150gr. My choice for Deer would be the 30-06 with a 165-168 gr, and for Elk would be the 180gr.
Effective range will be determined by personal ability,equipment ability, and self imposed max range that your given bullet choice will perform the way you want it to on the game your after in the area you place the bullet.
LOTS of deer and elk have been taken with both calibers, so both are good choices, but id give the edge to the 30-06 because of bullet wt's to choose from.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

I completely agree with Winmag. The .277 caliber is real killer and because of its smaller diameter it will tend to have higher BC's in similar weight bullets compared to the 308. For instance, a 150 .277 Berger VLD has a BC of .531. A Berger 155 VLD (hunting bullet) has a BC of .439. So from this example the .270 is going to be more capable at longer distance and bucking the wind with similar weight bullets. As soon as you jump to the 175 VLD and up you are going to see the edge going to the 30-06. The reason I use the Berger is to show equal comparison in the same manufacturer.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 HART View Post
witch one do yall think tends to be more accurate? a 270 or a 30-06?
and what would be the effective range of killin a deer?

The difference in accuracy would depend on the individual rifle more than anything eles

The max effective killing range for Deer with either is the max distance that "you" can place the bullet in the "kill zone"
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I completely agree with Winmag. The .277 caliber is real killer and because of its smaller diameter it will tend to have higher BC's in similar weight bullets compared to the 308. For instance, a 150 .277 Berger VLD has a BC of .531. A Berger 155 VLD (hunting bullet) has a BC of .439. So from this example the .270 is going to be more capable at longer distance and bucking the wind with similar weight bullets. As soon as you jump to the 175 VLD and up you are going to see the edge going to the 30-06. The reason I use the Berger is to show equal comparison in the same manufacturer.

Tank

Why would one use the same wieght bullets in both calibers?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Why would one use the same wieght bullets in both calibers?

One wouldn't! Just used those numbers and weight bullets to show the difference in BC's between two bullets of similar weight. One will be more superior than the other theoretically assuming all other conditions are the same. I do know that there are some guys who chose to use a 150grn bullet instead of a 180 or 190 grain for comfort in shooting.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
One wouldn't! Just used those numbers and weight bullets to show the difference in BC's between two bullets of similar weight. One will be more superior than the other theoretically assuming all other conditions are the same. I do know that there are some guys who chose to use a 150grn bullet instead of a 180 or 190 grain for comfort in shooting.

Tank

With external ballistics of these 3 factors only 2 of them are constant. Bullet weigth, bore diameter and velocity. Velcocity is constantly demenising, weight and diameter remain constant and they are your friend at long distances