Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

accuracy of walmart rem 700.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: accuracy of walmart rem 700.

My cheap Remington 700 ADL 7mm Remington Mag has become my most accurate and favorite gun to shoot! Bell and Carlson carbalite stock, muzzle brake, and some 160gr accubonds. I was hitting steel out to 700 yards getting ready for New Mexico next week! I bought it at walmart!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 PM

My Walmart 700 shoots a lot better than I can. That being said, I didnt trust the rifle's consitency whatsoever at all until I put it into a new stock. The ADL stocks are junk.

My grandfather bought a 700 SPS last year and upon trying to sight it in it would not shoot under about a 5 inch group. Bedded and freefloated and it is shooting right at MOA.

I know that the rifles are capable of a lot better groupings than I am capable of shooting and I will be the first to admit it. But I will tell you that the stocks are the number one problem.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
accuracy of walmart rem 700.-20141126_111836.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Bronze Member

My two remington budget rifles shoot just about as well as my expensive rifle. One is an SPS varmint $600 with an HS precision I found on sale for $250. The other is a VLS $900 with nothing but a bedding job $40. As for bullets in a factory barrel, you might try Amax or Nosler long range accubond. Factory barrels might not be ideal, but I am one of those that can't bring myself to just throw away a brand new one. I once read an article that claimed by trying your best to burn up a factory barrel before blueprinting and adding match grade barrel would improve your accuracy as much as anything.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Thanks mudrunner! My mind is now made up. Im gonna go ahead and build a remmy 700. I do have a gunsmith that i trust. He was the master gunsmith for Sturm&Ruger co. for a long time. So hopefully it will shoot ok. Ill post pics when i get it all done.
If it shoots good one day and not the next, I'm willing to say it will most likely shoot. (not definitely) I you are shooting it with the Tupperware stock it came with you are chasing something you will never catch. That stock flexes like a rubber band and to get any king of repeatable accuracy you will have to do everything perfect and then its a crap shoot.
If you are considering building off of it get a good stock first that would be used for the build and try it on your rile it just might cure it. If not you need the stock any way for the build so I would start there, you just might end there and keep it.

I you know someone with a chassis throw it in if and see what happens.

Don't take this wrong but if you have the Tupperware stock the only good thing about it is it wont rust or rot.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Anyone that expects most of these rifles to shoot inside one MOA straight out of the box without doing anything to them is 3/4 bubble off of full plumb!!
Old 12-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
Anyone that expects most of these rifles to shoot inside one MOA straight out of the box without doing anything to them is 3/4 bubble off of full plumb!!
I've got a couple of stock remmy's shooting sub moa without mods.... often you have to bed/ float the stock/barrel or replace the stock though.
I did the adl to bdl and stock replacement on a wally world 700 in 7rem also, but my reason was the cheap plastic trigger guard that I did not want to replace only for the thing to break again in a few months. It did shoot a bit better after the mods, but not enough to write home about...
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Why would Remington rifles (or any brand for that matter) from Walmart be of any lesser quality than from gun shops/stores, unless specifically made for them with their own specs?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.