Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Accuracy Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Accuracy Question

I have recently purchased a Browning X bolt in 308. Its the composite stalker with the Hogue overmold. My question is will replacing my plastic stock help with accuracy?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accuracy Question

Shoot it first and see how accurate it is. Then decide on what you need to do. Rifles are funny. Sometimes they shoot great right out of the box and then others need work done to them to make them shoot (which is most of the time). That's what makes it fun for me. Trying to figure it out and fix it but it is nice to just grab a brand new rifle and start shooting nice groups.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Maybe and maybe not. Shoot it and see what it does. If you want better accuracy, go down the path of developing hand loads first. If that does not get you where you want to be, then consider replacing stock parts with aftermarket products, and only if the rifle shows potential to be a "shooter".

I have only noticed incremental changes when JUST replacing a stock. It usually takes a combination of things to make a noticeable difference.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM

It actually doesnt shoot too bad at all. I would load pictures i took of it on my phone but i keep failing on that. Im looking forward to my next trip to do it again. Hopefully ill get the pics part right that time.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

What size groups are you getting? Depending on what size they are, a different stock may or may not help. You could also just try bedding it in the current stock, which could help a bit. The bottom line is do you need increased accuracy? If it is already shooting 'good' you might not need to do anything.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyd313 View Post
I have recently purchased a Browning X bolt in 308. Its the composite stalker with the Hogue overmold. My question is will replacing my plastic stock help with accuracy?
The Hogue overmold is not a plastic stock. It's a composite with I believe an internal aluminum frame and a rubberized "grippy" exterior.

Some have pillars, some have a full aluminum bedding block, not sure about the Browning versions.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Wilrose, since Chuckyd313's Hogue overmold is composite can it be skim bedded?